JTD Won't start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 15-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

JTD Won't start

Hi

My 2.4 JTD just refuses to start in a morning no matter how long I turn it over.

This started when the weather turned cold but even though temperature is now around 5 degrees it still won't start.

If I give it a squirt of 'Easy start' it fires up on first turn then OK for the rest of the day. I have even started not even trying to turn it over first, just pop the bonnet undo air inlet pipe, quick squirt, pipe back on tighten clip and turn key - fires immediately.

I have noticed that if I leave it for over 8 hrs then the problems begin, but less than say 6 hours it fires first time.

My indie machanic thinks it could be fuel syphoning back to the tank over time as he says I have a small leak in the high pressure pump, and that I have to basically 'bleed' the fuel system after a long period of not running (8 Hours). This I can't quite get my head round, surely if this were the case I would still have to 'bleed' it and it would not fire first turn with 'Easy Start'.

No error codes are coming up on diagnostics.

Glow plugs and injectors have been checked and are working correctly.

Any ideas on what the cause could be

Thanks in advance for your replys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Leicestershire
I'm having the same problems with my 2.4 156 saloon! Had three duff glow plugs crank sensor was screwed and the pressure regulator all fault code showed up and have systematically worked through the faults and now with no fault codes showing its doing me in!!

I think its going to be a high pressure pump swap next!
(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 17-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Don't fancy that V8pete I was quoted £600 for re-con pump fitting
AO Member

County: Monmouthshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodman View Post
Hi

My 2.4 JTD just refuses to start in a morning no matter how long I turn it over.

This started when the weather turned cold but even though temperature is now around 5 degrees it still won't start.

If I give it a squirt of 'Easy start' it fires up on first turn then OK for the rest of the day. I have even started not even trying to turn it over first, just pop the bonnet undo air inlet pipe, quick squirt, pipe back on tighten clip and turn key - fires immediately.

I have noticed that if I leave it for over 8 hrs then the problems begin, but less than say 6 hours it fires first time.

My indie machanic thinks it could be fuel syphoning back to the tank over time as he says I have a small leak in the high pressure pump, and that I have to basically 'bleed' the fuel system after a long period of not running (8 Hours). This I can't quite get my head round, surely if this were the case I would still have to 'bleed' it and it would not fire first turn with 'Easy Start'.

No error codes are coming up on diagnostics.

Glow plugs and injectors have been checked and are working correctly.

Any ideas on what the cause could be

Thanks in advance for your replys
I had 2 bad leaks on my high pressure pump but it did not stop the engine starting.
AO Member

County: Monmouthshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8pete View Post
I'm having the same problems with my 2.4 156 saloon! Had three duff glow plugs crank sensor was screwed and the pressure regulator all fault code showed up and have systematically worked through the faults and now with no fault codes showing its doing me in!!

I think its going to be a high pressure pump swap next!
Thats a lot of work. Why not run diagnostics as you crank the engine to see what pressure your pump is producing?
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

This is the complete test procedure for a 2.4 JTD non start fault hope it throws some light on your problem.

Follow it from left to right or mouse over will show number order
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.8 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (43.5 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (56.6 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (39.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (46.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (48.9 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Alfa 156 JTD; 17-12-10 at 17:42.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

part 2

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (46.8 KB, 61 views)
AO Member

Hi fishy-steve and 156 jtd appreciate the comments/ directions! Will run the diagnostics in morning! Fingers crossed eh
AO Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

Various Alfa's

there quite a common fault that can effect the ecu on the 2.4 10vs which prevent the car from starting ecutesting.com can test and repair, obviously rule everything else out first.

County: -

Member car:

Brera Spider

Hi guys,

My 2.4 Spider is refusing to start now.

Fired up ok last Thursday. Ran for 5 minutes then cut out and won't restart.

Fuel is getting pumped to the filter. No fault codes recorded. Sounds like a starvation problem...

Any thoughts please?

Rich
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTech View Post
there quite a common fault that can effect the ecu on the 2.4 10vs which prevent the car from starting ecutesting.com can test and repair, obviously rule everything else out first.
I'm getting no fault codes at all!! Will a faulty ecu show up??

Think ecu.com is my next call!!
AO Member

i have had exactly the same problem on my 1.9jtd was starting fine then the winter came and one morning it wouldn`t start,but will with dope in it,now mine won`t start at all and it is caused by the ECU failing in my case.......

County: Staffordshire
I know this is an old forum but I recently used it. Tryed everything but still had no joy starting. Anyway I was just tinkering around this morning and noticed that there is a solonoid that my 1.9 jtd used to starve the engine of air I assume this is to stop the engine. I noticed that it wasn't moving to open the airflow back up so I give it a little pull *** was jamed as soon as I pulled it bingo car fired. And has been fine since. Got same as everyone else no fault codes. Anyway it may help someone so just thought I'd post. It's right after the big rubber air intake hose on the inlet manifold. Hope it helps if I'd have seen it on here would have solved problem days ago.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by annual_uk View Post
I know this is an old forum but I recently used it. Tryed everything but still had no joy starting. Anyway I was just tinkering around this morning and noticed that there is a solonoid that my 1.9 jtd used to starve the engine of air I assume this is to stop the engine. I noticed that it wasn't moving to open the airflow back up so I give it a little pull *** was jamed as soon as I pulled it bingo car fired. And has been fine since. Got same as everyone else no fault codes. Anyway it may help someone so just thought I'd post. It's right after the big rubber air intake hose on the inlet manifold. Hope it helps if I'd have seen it on here would have solved problem days ago.
That's actually in the non start procedure picture number 5 I posted above

Usually the vacuum pipes split or come loose.

Glad you sorted it out.

County: Staffordshire
Yep your right it is the actuator. Didn't know what it was called lol. I plan to take it all apart as its happened again this morning it was very stiff. Plan to take it all apart to clean as the air intake is clogged up with thick oily residue. And I'm getting a poor air condition error from my ecu sometimes hope that helps it abit. Also going to clean the MAF. Hopefully all well be good after.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
jtd , start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page