Cambelt change at 36K under warrenty - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 20-05-04 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Warning Cambelt change at 36K under warrenty

In the dealers last weekend I saw a letter on the service desk talking of cambelt changes. As I can just about read upside-down I saw that Alfa have informed dealers that the cambelt on twin-spark 156 should be examined for 'noticible signs of wear', in particular cracks or perishing, and replaced under warranty. There were particular engine number ranges but the letter also said that engines outside of these ranges would be considered.

If I had a twinny I would be quite concerned at this! It doesn`t sound like the cambelts are all that reliable. If you have a 36K mile service or higher coming up then you may wish to enquire about this letter and attempt to insist on a replacement! I know a number of members of the forum suggest changing them every 36K anyway, but if Alfa recognise this as an issue then it may help people to get a change for free.

Sorry I can`t remember the engine ranges but strings of unfamiliar numbers don`t stick in my head after a few days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: Cambelt change at 36K under warrenty

That sounds like the service bulletin that was issued in early 2002.
Did you notice a date on it?
My cambelt etc was changed under warranty (as a variator replacement ) at the 48000mile service in Sept 2002.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Turbo, 330CD

You should've swiped the letter

David C, how much the variator did cost ?

i will change the whole cambelt kit after 3 years or 60.000km (whichever comes first) just to be sure. But the variator sounds OK i don't think i will change it.

All the best
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Member car:

3 Veloce’s..!

It is common knowledge now that the TS engine needs a cambelt change at about this time. But what seems to be happening is that the dealers have wacked the price of the 36K service up to cover the cost of the inspection. They usually change it anyway, but charge you for the increased service time, this way they don't have to make such a large claim on the Warrenty. It smacks of a deal they have cut with the insurance companies to me.
Wonder if the JTS will be affected in time as well?, anybody clocked up big miles on a JTS yet?, Mines on about 20K now. No problems yet.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiculedtzu
David C, how much the variator did cost ?

i will change the whole cambelt kit after 3 years or 60.000km (whichever comes first) just to be sure. But the variator sounds OK i don't think i will change it.
It didn't cost me anything, it was all under warranty (all belts, all tensioners + variator).
My variator sounded fine too, I think it was a ploy the dealer used to get the belt change done under warranty.

Thanks for the answer David.
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 20-05-04 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C
That sounds like the service bulletin that was issued in early 2002.
Did you notice a date on it?
oops, didn`t see a date, but it looked very new ????
AO Platinum Member

Maybe they have re-issued it because of all the new dealers.
AO Silver Member

What new dealers???

Anyway, mine is coming up for 36K, I was going to get it done at an independant the reason being that is is an import, so only had the 2 year pan euro warranty, which expire in Feb this year, I expect it will be service in Aygust, poss sept.

So can anyone explain if they will replace mine at this service under warranty, or not cover it??

And when they do this belt, do they do the tensioners as well??

The variator was done under warranty at about 14K miles, and the belt, but not sure if they did the tensioners then as well, or the balancer belts. Somehow doubt it? anyone know if they would?

Hold the rear end slide....don't run wide!

156 2.0TS Veloce Lthr (02/02), silver, black Momo, BMC filter,V6 intake, DS2500 Front-DS Perf Rear pads, Conti sportcontacts, OMP strut Brace .

Built in Italy, on the last Friday before (hic) Xmas........:-/
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupes
What new dealers???
Many dealers lost their franchise and were replaced with others.
The result is lots of dealers with no Alfa experience at all.

Quote:
Anyway, mine is coming up for 36K, I was going to get it done at an independant the reason being that is is an import, so only had the 2 year pan euro warranty, which expire in Feb this year.
Do you mean Feb next year? because it is May already

Quote:
The variator was done under warranty at about 14K miles, and the belt, but not sure if they did the tensioners then as well, or the balancer belts. Somehow doubt it? anyone know if they would?
You should have the work sheet from the warranty job which will show you the parts they used.
For a Variator replacement they should also have changed: cambelt, cambelt tensioner, counterbalance shaft belt & counterbalance shaft belt tensioner.

My 3rd year service was going to cost an extra 100 to cover the cost of checking the cambelt. As it happened, they replaced the cambelt under warranty and didn't charge me the extra 100, so all in all, 175 for a service and cambelt change
Still 175 for an oil change is still a ripoff
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C
Do you mean Feb next year? because it is May already

You should have the work sheet from the warranty job which will show you the parts they used.
For a Variator replacement they should also have changed: cambelt, cambelt tensioner, counterbalance shaft belt & counterbalance shaft belt tensioner.
Er no, i mean Feb this year, hense it expired in Feb this year...In other words it ran out 3 months ago, so I was wondering whether the new instruction to replace them at 36K as per the letter mentioned, was for all cars or just those still in their warranty at that time...I mean if you do 10K per year as many do, then by the time they get to 36K their warranty will expire even with a UK dealer car?

They have never given me any copies of paperwork for any warranty work, at 2 diff dealers
AO Platinum Member

If your warranty expired 3-months ago you will not get it done F.O.C., they even get very picky during the last few months of the warranty period.

It isn't a new instruction; it is the same instruction that was sent out early 2002.

If you have a list of the parts replaced under warranty @ 14000miles and it lists all the items that should have been replaced, you should be ok to leave the belt change to 50000miles (14000miles+36000miles) or 3-years after that warranty belt change.

Mine was done @ 48000miles under warranty in Sept 2002 and I will probably change it again in Sept 2005 (unless I get to 84000miles before then).

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
2012 Renault Twingo 1.2
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc
rhills

Help Re: Cambelt change at 36K under warrenty

I'm a new member of the site and, as a 156 1.8 TS, (V reg Sept.1999) driver am concerned about the cambelt issue. I bought the car at twelve months old and it had 12,000 miles on the clock. I continued to have the 24 and 36 month services carried out by the dealer to maintain the 3 year warranty I'd inherited. Nobody breathed a word to me about the cambelt technical bulletin so, as far as I'm aware, my car is still running on the original belt with 52,000 miles now covered. There is a tick-ticking belt type noise when idling which increases my fear that all hell is going to break loose(?). Can anyone tell me what a variator is please? Also would you recommend any independent garages, in the Greater London/Essex/South-East, that would carry out the work without demanding a king's ransom. I agree with the other comments about the generally poor standard of service offered by the official AR dealers and am anxious to find someone who cares without charging the earth. Any help will be most gratefully received.

AO Platinum Member

Hi rhills,
yes your cambelt is living on borrowed time!
Having said that some have made it to 72000miles, but not many...

I'm not sure who to recommend in the London/Essex area but I'm sure someone will be along soon.

During my warranty period I had mine worked on at SGT in Taplow (I was working in Slough at the time), now I drive all the way from London up to BLS in Lincoln!!
I've known the guys at BLS for over 15-years so it is a day out as well as a visit to service the car.
S.speed

Jamie Porter, Royston....top darts

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
36k , cambelt , change , warrenty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page