JTS Oil usage/Engine Noise - A Cautionary Tale - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 22-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Cry Like A Baby JTS Oil usage/Engine Noise - A Cautionary Tale

Posted a couple of threads/replies about oil usage in the JTS engines recently. Had my beloved GT 2.0 JTS serviced by a main dealer at 48k in September. Had a couple of issues with the car stalling and the oil lamp blinking on. Had no visible signs of a leak or excessive smoke under acceleration unless I drove it very hard.Topped the oil up again Saturday before last (2 litres of 10w40 in 1800 miles) and headed off up the motorway. As I accelerated I noticed a metallic rattle as the revs increased. Booked it in to a different dealer on Friday and just about made it there up the motorway - noise under acceleration, lack of power. Handed the keys over and waited for the call to come and collect it. Imagine my surprise when they called me and said the bottom end had gone ! Crank shaft is knackered, bearing shelf melted....In the space of 1800 miles, the engine has burnt off so much oil (a fill up at service and 3 litres since) that it has starved and over heated the crankshaft. The garage has said that it's a major fault in the engine causing it to burn so much oil. So. At 5 o'clock this evening, I had the sobering sight of my car on a hoist, with it's engine sitting on the floor beneath it. They're replacing it, and the happy ending is that the maintenance company are paying for it. Apologies for the rant, but the main point of my post is this (finally ! ). There were no obvious signs or warnings of such high oil consumption in such a small period of time. It basically looks like the worst happened in the space of a week. I was lucky to get to the garage on Friday, they reckon it was ready to seize at any minute. Hopefully the replacement of the engine will go smoothly. If only because the Mitsubishi Lancer diesel i'm driving is truly awful !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

n/a

damn, sorry to hear....

good to know u're not up for the cost!

not that i'm saying 10w-40 would have caused this, but the specc'd oil is 10w-60, which with blown rings or whatever caused the excessive oil burn, the thinner oil couldn't have helped!
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 23-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Yeah, seen that on the threads about oil types. I'm pretty sure when it's been serviced in the past they've put 10w40 in...a cost thing i've no doubt.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
I suspect the first time you saw the oil light come on was when it started as this indicates that the oil pressure has dropped and the oil to the end of the crank wasnt enough to prevent the surface's meeting.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 02-12-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Exactly that biffa. Learned my lesson now. The new engine's in now, just waiting for a cracked injector to be replaced and i'll be back behind the wheel. Keeping everything crossed that they've done a good job and normal service can be resumed early next week !
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregev View Post
Exactly that biffa. Learned my lesson now. The new engine's in now, just waiting for a cracked injector to be replaced and i'll be back behind the wheel. Keeping everything crossed that they've done a good job and normal service can be resumed early next week !
Expensive lesson, but its not how you learn sometimes but that you do learn thats important...
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 18-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 2.0 JTS

Had my new engine fitted and been running it in since before Christmas. Done just over 2,000 miles at never much more than 3,00 revs. No noticeable burning of the oil as yet, maybe down a mil on the dipstick but that's all. Fingers crossed it'll be ok on the 10w40 as long as I keep an eye on it. Got a litre in the boot just in case ! Can anyone tell me how much oil the readings on the dipstick equate to ? I.e: if it's half-way between the min and max marks is that a litre ?
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Between min and max is 1 litre.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
1 litre between max and min.

EDIT: Damn, you got me Sy
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
1 litre between max and min.

EDIT: Damn, you got me Sy

AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

GT ss/Cav mk1

Oil usage for my GT 2.0JTS was twice as much with the 10w40 instead with the 10w60 that i'm currently using.
So,better to use what the factory suggests

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cautionary , jts , noise , oil , tale , usage or engine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page