Can someone put this to bed for me! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 09-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Can someone put this to bed for me!

Ok,

There has been a lot of confusion thrown up as to the correct oil to use for my 2.0Jts engine. Ive asked a few people on here and seem to get a varied response from 5w 40, 10w 40 to 10w 60

Now the reason im more confused will become aparant when you see the pictures below......

This is a picture of the "info sticker" on the slam panel of my car, which as you can see reccomends 10w 40

This picture is the 156 handbook which came with my car and the main part of this page (not shown in picture) reccomends 10w 40 or 5w 40 for all alfa petrol engines....Then the small print at the bottom states 10w 60 is to be used for the JTS engine

Then of course there is the previous service history for my car....all of which has been done at alfa dealers/garages and on each one its been given 10w 40

My car is currently still running with 10w 40 but in the last 6000 miles ive had to top up just over 5ltrs of oil, Now when i had my V6 i never had to top it up between services. My car doesnt have a leak and doesnt seem to smoke at all and people i have spoken to dont seem to think 5ltrs over 6000 miles is too bad but im not overly keen on it! Beginning to cost me a fortune

Sooty - Black 89' Alfa 75 24v V6 Veloce
Mario - Silver 58' 159Ti

75 V6 Restoration/Track Car Project>>>>https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...-progress.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
To confuse matters, I split the difference when I had my JTS and used 0W-50. Seemed to reduce the consumption somewhat.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Well then! you've done your research and 10W 40 it is then, Semi Synth' as recommended by the guys that made the engine!

Nuff said?...

..No, i would put a 5W 40 Fully synthetic in ! (silkolene/Fuchs,Mobil,Castrol,Millers, Motul)

ps, your engine is burning to much oil but if it's running and performing fine, then keep topping it up...not much else you can do short of a rebuild and those additives to stop excessive oil consumption don't work.....You may find that one of the oils i have mentioned above will help cut down your oil loss...do some research on the matter!

Arte et Marte, By Skill & by Fighting.

Traded my soul for lifelong car heaven! and poverty !
(Post Link) post #4 of 18 Old 09-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StescoG66 View Post
To confuse matters, I split the difference when I had my JTS and used 0W-50. Seemed to reduce the consumption somewhat.
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fildigger View Post
Well then! you've done your research and 10W 40 it is then, Semi Synth' as recommended by the guys that made the engine!

Nuff said?...

..No, i would put a 5W 40 Fully synthetic in ! (silkolene/Fuchs,Mobil,Castrol,Millers, Motul)

ps, your engine is burning to much oil but if it's running and performing fine, then keep topping it up...not much else you can do short of a rebuild and those additives to stop excessive oil consumption don't work.....You may find that one of the oils i have mentioned above will help cut down your oil loss...do some research on the matter!
But if thats the case then why does the owners manual state that only 10w 60 is to be used on JTS engines?

One thing i do know is that mine is 1 of the first JTS engines released in the 156 so did it change from 10w 40 to 10w 60 after a year or so?

I do see what your saying and i strongly agree that if its running fine then why worry, Ive always said id sooner it burned more oil than not enough but its really getting expensive now and id sooner not have to do it! I do a lot of miles so it doesnt take long for the next top up to come along!
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 09-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
As a JTS owner who has rebult my engine i used 10W60 in the JTS and found i used NO oil at all, so expereimented and filled her with the same brand but in 10w40 and she burns lots more oil all the time. My advice is to stick to what the manual said and 10w60 is the route i'll be going back down next week. The oil has only been in the a month and i'm going to change it again...
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 10-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa View Post
As a JTS owner who has rebult my engine i used 10W60 in the JTS and found i used NO oil at all, so expereimented and filled her with the same brand but in 10w40 and she burns lots more oil all the time. My advice is to stick to what the manual said and 10w60 is the route i'll be going back down next week. The oil has only been in the a month and i'm going to change it again...
Well i was going to say that mine is about due an oil change but seeing as its burned all the old oil then its probably not

Seriously though i do plan to change it soon, seen a lot of evidence to suggest 10w 60 is the way, the last thing i want to do though is have it not burn any oil at all....dont want to damage the engine
AO Platinum Member

County: Durham
The correct oil for the 2.0 JTS engine is 10w 60 fully synthetic.
(Post Link) post #9 of 18 Old 10-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
The correct oil for the 2.0 JTS engine is 10w 60 fully synthetic.
Im not doubting you here at all, but how do you know this? I wouldnt normally be so cautious but seeing as ive seen all the different info then you can imagine im a bit iffy about it
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Sure the sicker in mine says 10w-60/Selenia Racing. I have found that using 10w-60 only use a minimal amount, 50/60ml per 1000miles, if that.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K18 NOB View Post
Im not doubting you here at all, but how do you know this? I wouldnt normally be so cautious but seeing as ive seen all the different info then you can imagine im a bit iffy about it
It's in the handbook. Your car has the wrong sticker attached.
(Post Link) post #12 of 18 Old 10-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILSON_JTS View Post
Sure the sicker in mine says 10w-60/Selenia Racing. I have found that using 10w-60 only use a minimal amount, 50/60ml per 1000miles, if that.
Sounds much better than what mine is doing now

Quote:
It's in the handbook. Your car has the wrong sticker attached.
Must be the case!

Just did a search on engine oil, motor oil, gear oil, car oil, motorbike oil, transmission fluid from oilman at Opie Oils searched for products using my specific car type and for the 2.0jts they come up with 10w 40

Think im just going to stop looking into it, Ill pop out in a bit and pick up some oil and a new filter then just give it a go.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
how very alfa!
AO Platinum Member

When I search the same site it recommends 10w 60.

Edit - If I search for a 2.0 JTS Ti or Selespeed it recommends 10w 60 but if I search for a 2.0 JTS Turismo, Lusso or Veloce it recommends 10w 40.

Last edited by Roswell; 10-11-10 at 11:25.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
When I search the same site it recommends 10w 60.

Edit - If I search for a 2.0 JTS Ti or Selespeed it recommends 10w 60 but if I search for a 2.0 JTS Turismo, Lusso or Veloce it recommends 10w 40.
That's because the programming on the Opie Oils website is wrong.

Tim at Opie Oils mentioned this yesterday in another thread, the programming will be changed to reflect the fact that all 2.0 JTS engines are recommended to have 10w60 fully synthetic oil.

This is also stipulated by Alfa Romeo UK. The fact that Alfa Romeo suggest you use Selenia Racing 10w60, which is not strictly a fully synthetic oil (rather a hydro-cracked mineral oil) is neither here nor there

Last edited by Spider95; 10-11-10 at 13:23.
(Post Link) post #16 of 18 Old 10-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I just love Alfa's

Still makes me wonder why such oil needs to be used in this engine! I know its a nippy little engine but still seems a bit over the top! I wont complain though, i thought selling my V6 and buying a JTS would cut down my running costs a little but obviously not
AO Platinum Member

I'd like to try a different flavour 10w 60 next time round, just for the hell of it really.

My local indie supply me with 5 litres of Selenia Racing and a new filter for 40.

Opie Oils want 64 to supply me with 5 litres of Castrol Edge Sport and a new filter.

I'm not sure the difference in cost is worth it.
(Post Link) post #18 of 18 Old 10-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Im not sure it would be either

Not sure what ill try yet, the problem is trying to get hold of it, its like an illegal drung in this area of germany

Might have to trawl the streets late at night to find some! Bit annoyed that its now raining here aswell and there is little or no chance ill fit my car in the garage at the moment so might have to wait to change it.......or get wet

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
bed , put

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page