156 2.4 jtd - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 02-11-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD

Help 156 2.4 jtd

Help had 51 plate JTD 156 for some years not one problem in all this time has been a perfect car until my sister said this has been a good car never let you down famous last words anyway reversed car on the drive turned off wife tried to start next day but nothing engine turns fuel cut off ok, pump ok but no fuel to engine I am am suspecting ECU what is normally the cost for this any help would be appreciated getting desperate Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by telem16 View Post
Help had 51 plate JTD 156 for some years not one problem in all this time has been a perfect car until my sister said this has been a good car never let you down famous last words anyway reversed car on the drive turned off wife tried to start next day but nothing engine turns fuel cut off ok, pump ok but no fuel to engine I am am suspecting ECU what is normally the cost for this any help would be appreciated getting desperate Thanks
Hello... Please dont take this the wrong way but how did you test the pump?

Im unfamiliar with the specifics of the JTD as have not worked on it yet despite owning one.
Most diesels have a pump or system to get fuel from the fuel tank, when a scavenge pump is used in the tank it pumps diesel to the main pump on the engine. The scavenge pump has to operate at a high enough pressure for diesel to enter the main high pressure pump.

The main pump produces mega PSI and if this pressure is not met then the fuel WILL NOT enter the rail. IT can be very dangerous to undo pipes at injectors because of this High pressure.

Finally the fuel is not timed by the pump the injectors will not squirt until they recieve a pulse from the cam sensor and its this that i'd be looking at first.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
there are a few conditions that need to be met before a common rail diesel attempts to start...

1- the key must be recognised (or rather the transponder chip in the key)
2- the battery voltage needs to be high enough during cranking to let the ecu work, at least 11v...
3- the cranking RPM needs to be at least 250
4- the diesel pressure in the common rail needs to reach 290 bar or higher
5- the crank and camshaft signals must be logical

so if you don't get diesel from the scavenging pump at all, either that pump is faulty or the electric circuit to that pump. If you get diesel for about 2 seconds after turning the ignition to "Marcia" it's more likely the RPM is not registered by the TDC-sensor
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 03-11-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD

Thanks to you both for the quick reply their is no live to the pump in tank and when bypassed it turned the pump in this case forgive me but where does the signal to the pump come from and could this still be cam sensor thanks again sorry to be a pain
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by telem16 View Post
Thanks to you both for the quick reply their is no live to the pump in tank and when bypassed it turned the pump in this case forgive me but where does the signal to the pump come from and could this still be cam sensor thanks again sorry to be a pain
Cuore_Sportivo_155 seems to be more familiar with this engine but...

Check for power at the fuel cut off switch. There should be a live ignition feed in, and if working this feed should then exit and travels direct to the pump.

If it still isn't starting with the pump bypassed then it sounds like a few systems are down. sounding like an immobiliser issue, is the immobiliser light going out?

I think injector fuse in the engine bay can cause issues, but might need a diagnostic otherwise.
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 04-11-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD

also bypassed the fuel cut off but when it first happened thought it might have triped when going onto the drive button seemed to click in at the time so i thought great but nothing else after that, dont know if linked or not fuse in passenger foot well had blown changed but again nothing, will check to see if imob light goes out friend of mine plugged diagnostic in but nothing come up thanks
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

to many

You need to plug it in and see what the results are.

My 2.4 kept stopping when my girlfriend was driving it in Netherlands. it went to the garage and over a few weeks had the crank sensor ect change nothing worked. I plug my laptop in and it came up with fuel quality?

Toped off the tank and it has been fine since!

The fuel pump only runs for a few seconds to pressure up the system and then stops. It dosnt run all the time. Mine is so quite you hardly hear it run.

You can remove the banjo where it meets the filter to test if the pump is running you will only get a pint or so before it stops. tTe fuel pressure isnt that great and this is how to drain the tank if you put petrol in by mistake not that i have done that of course!!!!
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 05-11-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD

hi unfortunately its not getting a drop of fuel dry as a bone no power to the pump thanks
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocad View Post
You need to plug it in and see what the results are.

My 2.4 kept stopping when my girlfriend was driving it in Netherlands. it went to the garage and over a few weeks had the crank sensor ect change nothing worked. I plug my laptop in and it came up with fuel quality?

Toped off the tank and it has been fine since!

The fuel pump only runs for a few seconds to pressure up the system and then stops. It dosnt run all the time. Mine is so quite you hardly hear it run.

You can remove the banjo where it meets the filter to test if the pump is running you will only get a pint or so before it stops. tTe fuel pressure isnt that great and this is how to drain the tank if you put petrol in by mistake not that i have done that of course!!!!
the fuel pump primes for a few seconds when you turn on the ignition, and starts again when the engine runs...
(Post Link) post #10 of 12 Old 10-11-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD

Hi its not coming up with any faults when plugged in,i wish i knew the answer it sadly looks like it will have to be sold for parts.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

Have you got a spare key

It could be a faulty key as mentioned already
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 10-11-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.4 JTD

yes i tried the spare no joy

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , jtd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page