smoke/steam coming from engine, cant see where from though - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 02-11-10 Thread Starter

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTD

smoke/steam coming from engine, cant see where from though

Hey All at AO club

Have recently bought a GT and am so chuffed with her. Through reading the threads on here have already made some improvements so cant thank people enough for the info.

Have searched around to see if there are any threads started on my concern but none so here goes....

I have noticed when stopped at traffic lights there is either steam or smoke coming from under the bonnet. Temp gauge is pretty solid at 90 and all fluid levels good (oil may be slightly high)
when i get the car home the steam/smoke has stopped but seems to be coming from behind the engine as there is white residue on the material on the underside of the bonnet. filler cap seems clear of any residue and there seems to be no loss of power. Have had the engine idling for a while when stationary to see if i can see where it comes from but to no avail. Any suggestions?? not that mechanicaly savvy, electrics yep, mechanics no.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
I'm guesing its a JTS?? You say there is no sludge in the cap. What about in the header tank? And what is teh water level like in the morning when you come to the car. Also in the morning when the car is cold just take the header tank cap off and see if the water disappears if it is still the.You could have a weeping head gasket or heater matrix hose down teh back of the engine
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 03-11-10 Thread Starter

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTD

Hi Joss

Sorry, yeah its the 1.9 JTD, will check water level tomorrow and get back to you.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
coming , engine , smoke or steam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page