Oil / Gunk in cam cover breather - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 02-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Worcestershire

Member car:

Alfa GTV 2.0 P1

Oil / Gunk in cam cover breather

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else had problems with a fair amount of oil / gunk going down cam cover breather (on 2.0 tspark cf1 engine) and into air intake?

Is there any way of cleaning out the cam cover section that is bolted (and from what i can tell welded) inside the cam cover? I've tried undoing the 3 bolts but it seems like a sealed little section?

Any ideas as I'm replacing my MAF and filter and dont want it to get gunked up again! I'm tempted to just cut and seal the two vacuum hoses that come out of the cam cover and put a breather filter on cam cover instead - anyone tried this? Any issues it might cause?

Also I assume this has happened as someone has over-filled the car with oil, but id guess remnants will still come through unless i can clean inside this mystery section in the cam cover.

Many thanks, as always! Paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Clean it off and try and get some brake cleaner down the cover while its off to thin it and clear it out as best you can. Over filled oil will cause heavy breathing along with long durations at high revs. Do you do a lot of motorway miles?
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 03-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Worcestershire

Member car:

Alfa GTV 2.0 P1

Yeah a fair few long journeys - when she agrees to it! Currently parked up with half a spark plug stuck in the engine and the bolt half in my house. Nice! Screw extractor set seems to work though - this weekend's job!

So can this little 'box' not be opened up? The whole thing is just gunked up! If i wanted to just pop a breather filter on there and close off the two pipes to intake could I or would this damage something?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Not sure about the filter. I've seen it done on lots of other cars so i'm sure it would probably be ok. Not sure about the box either as I've never had to destroy on. You couldn't leave it off though as the oil would all go out the breatehr then. With regards to your broken spark plug. Had the same issue with the mrs spider ts a year or so ago when we bought it. Plug broke off. I drilled it out in the end. Then got 2 mac donalds straws and taped it to the hoover to suck the swarf from the cylinder head. Took time but beats taking the head off. I had to buy some super long drill bits to do the job.

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
breather , cam , cover , gtv , gunk , oil , tspark

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page