Noise when clutch pressed. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 01-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Northumberland

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

Madness Noise when clutch pressed.

OK.... at the end of sanity.
156 1.8 TS CF3 2002 engine in a 2001 car. 5 speed manual box.
The fault or problem described as best I can:

Drivng down a country road, went to downshift and noticed a vibration/judder through the clutch pedal. Only happens with the pedal is pressed and if you sit with your foot touching the pedal, there is no judder. The judder/vibration is linked to the engine speed. I can only describe the feeling in the pedal as the same sort of feeling via the brake pedal when the ABS is active, though newhere near as pronounced.

Bonnet up when I got home and noticed a pretty loud noise when the clutch is pressed. A bit of a groan and a dull knock tied to engine speed..... again, only when you press the clutch pedal. Let her sit and idle in neutral and the noise is gone. Starts and runs perfectly smoothly and there is no change in the clutch bite or clutch performance.

A friend pointed me to the clutch thrust bearing. A bladdy nightmare removing the box, fitting a new cluch slave and thrust bearing, then re-fitting the box..... not sure I'd want to do that again........ but the noise and vibration are still there.

Now..... friend who helped asked his old man and he suggested crank bearings. Possibly too much end float and when the clutch is pressed, the added pressure is pussing the crank...... causing the noise. Does that sound like a reasonable place to look? Having had the box off, I'm not keen on spending too much time and money with this.

Anyone have a guide on what to look for (other than a couple of hidden sump bolts) and where to look for a knackered bearing or 2? Can the crank thrust bearings be done with the crank in situ or am I looking at the box out again?

HHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!! !!

"If it can't be fixed with a hammer, your problems electrical!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Have you checked all of the engine mounts are ok?

From what I have read crank thrust bearings did fail on a few cars. EVO magazine did a long term test of a selespeed and that suffered a crank thrust bearing collapse.

The end float in the crank also caused other problems such as slightly ovalled bores IIRC.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 01-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

Engine mounts are all good. Definitely tied to the clutch/crank rather than mounting.
AO Platinum Member

Smaky would probably be the man to ask. It does sound like it could be the crank thrust bearings.

If it is then it may have caused further problems elsewhere in the engine.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 02-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

Thanks to Smaky for PM'd advice. Seems like a job I am happy to do myself.
AO Platinum Member

So what did he think it was?
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 08-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

RénoLaGünah

This is what Smaky had to say:

Quote:
Hi Prof,

The good news is that this can be done with the car on axle stands and with the gearbox ON.

You just need to drop the sump off (there's loads of guides on the forum for this and I've written a how to on it aswell, then the journal cap between 3 and 4 has to come off, the bearing are half moon shaped and will spin round with a little prod and you keep rotating them till they come out, note that the groves in them face towards the cylinder holes when fitting (standard thrust bearings 71711760, oversize 71711761 around £10 a set). Then rebuild jounal caps are 60N.m.

But before you go to those lengths take a look at the aux belt crank pulley and check the rubber isn't breaking up on that, you could try removing the aux belt, start the engine up and press the clutch, if the noise goes away then it's the pulley at fault and this would save you a load of time messing with the sump.

The reasoning is that if the endfloat is enough to push the crank over enough to pt the aux belt loop slightly out of alignment then the damper on this pulley is allowing the outer ring to oscilate and it's this that your hearing/feeling and it is that which I would check first.

Regards and hope you sort it
Lots of reasons why I have'nt done it yet... but checked the aux belt removed yesterday and made no difference.
I would be doing it today but its persisting it down and blowing a gale.
I'm gonna take a few pics as I go along as there were a few threads but not a lot of answers or results.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
clutch , noise , pressed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page