Alfa Romeo V6 Engine - High Performance Manual - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 159 and gtv6
  • 1 Post By Persimmon

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 31-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
Alfa Romeo V6 Engine - High Performance Manual

Evening all,

I have been after the Alfa Romeo V6 Engine - High Performance Manual for ages now, and the release date never seems clear. Jim Kartalamakis is the author, he also did the twin cam book. Does anyone have any info at all?

Cheers,
Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V6 book.jpg (51.8 KB, 50 views)
Ian Lusso likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Derbyshire
I am so in love with the V6 that this would make ideal bedtime reading for me!

I adore passionate stories

I hope it has a happy ending! The sad ones make me
newalfisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 156 and GTV6 View Post
Evening all,

I have been after the Alfa Romeo V6 Engine - High Performance Manual for ages now, and the release date never seems clear. Jim Kartalamakis is the author, he also did the twin cam book. Does anyone have any info at all?

Cheers,
Peter
I don't think he released it yet, but i will ask him for the preliminary release date.
It worth the wait though as he has been through some serious work and his knowledge is immense.

AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV 3.0 24V

says on some book stores 1/1/2011 but this dose feel a tad like a holding date!
Would be a perfect birthday gift for me if it is though
(Post Link) post #5 of 21 Old 02-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newalfisti View Post
I don't think he released it yet, but i will ask him for the preliminary release date.
It worth the wait though as he has been through some serious work and his knowledge is immense.
I have had a look at the DOHC book, even though thats not applicable to me and thats looks great, also others have said this. Haha I am renowned for being impatient
AO Member

County: New South Wales
He is running in Greek time, always late lol
AO Gold Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

I take it this just covers the 12v does it?
(Post Link) post #8 of 21 Old 06-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipharvey View Post
I take it this just covers the 12v does it?
That was the impression I had.... btw did you find the supersprint exhaust on your 156 V6 a bit 'poppy', I had one on my old V6 156, sold it straightaway on ebay lol. I wondered if it was just my old one, I have a raggazzon on my current 156 JTS.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

No, can't say I have. But then mine also has a JTD centre section and GTA decat!
Even when it was just the SS back box, I'd only describe it as a mild rumble.

This is the one I have:
Attachment 103097

Last edited by filipharvey; 05-12-11 at 18:17.
(Post Link) post #10 of 21 Old 07-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipharvey View Post
No, can't say I have. But then mine also has a JTD centre section and GTA decat!
Even when it was just the SS back box, I'd only describe it as a mild rumble.

This is the one I have:
Attachment 103097
Yeah thats the old girl I had, no sure why it was an issue, but it was a bit to loud for me... maybe I am just sensitive haha
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Too loud!? Mine is practically unsilenced and I wouldn't call it loud!
The Supersprint is quite a muffler.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
It on Amazon to pre order for £19.99, but it does not cover the 156
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Basically this is what it covers
Alfa Romeo V6 Engine - High Performance Manual: Covers GTV6, 75 and 164 2.5 and 3 Litre Engines - Also Includes (not for Front Wheel Drive) Advice on ... and Transmission (Speedpro) (Speedpro Series) [Paperback
(Post Link) post #14 of 21 Old 10-11-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaV6 Alan View Post
It on Amazon to pre order for £19.99, but it does not cover the 156
I remember my sister ordering me a copy on pre-order in may 2009 for my birthday in July of that year! Your right about it not covering the 156, its only for the original V6's of the 80's. I have had a 156 V6 before I had my 156 JTS, it was a great engine, however doesn't sound as good as my stock 80's GTV6!
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 24V

Knew i had seen this thread somewhere (+1 Resurrection)
Mini review:
Anyway I received this book yesterday and have now read it “-the handling section” this is a testament to how well it is written “I don’t read for pleasure” so it should be praised for that!

Now the praising is out of the way I would say this book has left me more questions than it has answered mainly because it did bugger all to cover the 24 Valve engine. In fact I would probably go so far to say “anything said about the 24V engine was tacked on after the book was finished” probably in post prod to try and expand the reader base. I’m sure if this book was released 7+ years ago when the v6 12 valve was still fairly relevant then it would have been a great seller and very helpful it was not and its audience is limited!

Here is a comparison of coverage:
Chapter 7 “The 12 valve cylinder head” this section is 9 pages long with 4 different porting jobs for 2 different engine displacements plus an additional 4 porting jobs with bigger valves. The section also includes a head cutaways and diagrams with proposed porting and measurements “very nice if you are porting a 12v”

Compared Chapter 16 “The 24v cylinder head” this section is 1.5 “yes .5”pages long it has 1 flow chart with a mild clean-up and a small section stipulating that the use of 37mm intake valves could work this is not covered other sections ether !

The whole book is like this and would say that in total less than 6-7% of its total length covers the 24valve engine. So very disappointing if you are buying the book for any of the newer older cars.

What this book is really written for is the Alfa 75 GTVv6 owner and should be titled as so.

Summery:
A well written and logically formatted “if you are reading for the 12v” book by someone who knows and cares about his subject “Alfa 75 + 12V V6”. What it is not is however is “The Alfa Romeo v6 Engine High-performance manual” you will find better information written on this forum by alan Q4+33 under both his old GTV and new 156 project pages.

These are just my opinion but hope they are helpful

James
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

GTV Cup 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADfish10 View Post
Knew i had seen this thread somewhere (+1 Resurrection)
Mini review:
Anyway I received this book yesterday and have now read it “-the handling section” this is a testament to how well it is written “I don’t read for pleasure” so it should be praised for that!

Now the praising is out of the way I would say this book has left me more questions than it has answered mainly because it did bugger all to cover the 24 Valve engine. In fact I would probably go so far to say “anything said about the 24V engine was tacked on after the book was finished” probably in post prod to try and expand the reader base. I’m sure if this book was released 7+ years ago when the v6 12 valve was still fairly relevant then it would have been a great seller and very helpful it was not and its audience is limited!

Here is a comparison of coverage:
Chapter 7 “The 12 valve cylinder head” this section is 9 pages long with 4 different porting jobs for 2 different engine displacements plus an additional 4 porting jobs with bigger valves. The section also includes a head cutaways and diagrams with proposed porting and measurements “very nice if you are porting a 12v”

Compared Chapter 16 “The 24v cylinder head” this section is 1.5 “yes .5”pages long it has 1 flow chart with a mild clean-up and a small section stipulating that the use of 37mm intake valves could work this is not covered other sections ether !

The whole book is like this and would say that in total less than 6-7% of its total length covers the 24valve engine. So very disappointing if you are buying the book for any of the newer older cars.

What this book is really written for is the Alfa 75 GTVv6 owner and should be titled as so.

Summery:
A well written and logically formatted “if you are reading for the 12v” book by someone who knows and cares about his subject “Alfa 75 + 12V V6”. What it is not is however is “The Alfa Romeo v6 Engine High-performance manual” you will find better information written on this forum by alan Q4+33 under both his old GTV and new 156 project pages.

These are just my opinion but hope they are helpful

James
James,

Sorry you were disappointed.
Every review I have seen always explained that it did not apply to the 24 valve V6 Engine that was to be found in the GTV etc.
(thats the reason I never got it) and yes its been out a while.

Alan
Ian Lusso likes this.
(Post Link) post #17 of 21 Old 10-02-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

The book (which I now have) does have on the front cover a picture of the 12v V6 engine and also it says 'Covers GTV6, 75 & 164 2.5 and 3.0 litre engines'.

However... you are correct in saying that the title of 'Alfa Romeo V6 Engine High performance manual', doesn't help if you if you cannot see a picture of the front cover, or a synopsis of what is within.

I found the book helpful, albeit a bit OTT for my amateur mechicanical skills!!!

Peter
AO Silver Member

County: Dublin
Garage
The new edition has a text on it saying "Not for front wheel drive cars"
Shame the author did not expand his book to the FWD 24 valve engines.
I doubt we will get a book that covers those engines.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

1750 Turbo

I saw Alan q4 had one on his post

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...veloce-6c.html
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 24V

My point was the book dose cover the 24 valve engine and I had decided to buy it after reading the Contents page that lists about as many 24 valve sections as it does 12 valve it is just a shame that they are 1/9th the size. They really were so close to having a book that would have been massively helpful for a second set of users but just did not put the effort in and rushed it. In total the addition of about 50pages covering more on the 24v would have been great.

156 and GTV6 I’m sure if you reread it a few times you will find it very helpful and it covers engine maintenance and performance for the 12V perfectly. I’m fairly confident that if I had a 12v now and that book as reference a good 30% increase in bhp could be had very easily!

On the plus side i am now looking at getting a second hand 24v engine to rebuild and modify and the book has given me the kick up the arse to do so.

Again the book is not bad it is just not explicitly helpful for 24v owners

J
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
Unfortunately, the sales of the books don't cover the cost of preparing the engines and testing them. Jim kartamalakis simply couldn't afford to start over with the 24v engine.

Also, the 24V was never released in the USA, which is where a large proportion of his audience will be found

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
alfa , engine , high , manual , performance , romeo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page