Dipstick on 2.0 TS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 16-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cardiff
Dipstick on 2.0 TS

I've got a CF1 2.0 Twinspark, it has a back handle dipstick which broke. I've got 2 other dipsticks with yellow tops, out of a CF1 and CF2 engine. They are both about 2 inches longer than the black one.

I'm thinking the black one is wrong and I should have a yellow one longer one, is that correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
I would be interested to know the answer to this too, i originally had the yellow top with my p1 spider and noticed a crack in yellow casing and exchanged for a black top with no problems for 18th months approx.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
My 1996 145 Cloverleaf had a black dipstick where as the 1998 Cloverleaf I had (Also CF1) had a yellow one.

I am wondering whether the actual tube is a different length, hence why the dipstick needs to be a different length to compensate.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 16-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cardiff
I could do with finding out, I could either have loads too much oil or not enough. I took a yellow one out of a CF1 GTV, mine is a CF1 Spider so it should be exactly the same.

Has anyone got a spider with a black dipstick?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
There are different length tubes available for twin sparks.

County: Cornwall

Member car:

916 spider

Help 2.0 TS dipstick length

Help! I am new to Alfa ownership, having bought a Phase 1 spider (1998) in October 2013 and a second car in December 2013 (1997) as a spares source. This has turned out to be too good to use as spares so I am running them both.
Heres my dilemma. First car has yellow dipstick (58mm)and oil level is slightly above full mark, not changed oil on this car as it is still golden colour. Second car has black dipstick (53mm) and I have just dropped oil and filter and taken out about 6 litres (though it was midway between min & max on black dipstick) I put 5.5 litres of oil in which barely registers on the black dipstick but is way overfull on the yellow one. The Handbook says 4.4 litres so I assume I have overfilled the sump, although the previous owner must have been doing the same for years.
Both dipstick tubes are the same length, stand about 5" above manifold heat shield. Engine numbers are 0401798 (black) and 0998656 (yellow) Which one is correct (odds on the yellow one) Can any of you knowledgeable people confirm this? Does anyone know where to get one from at a reasonable price?
The thing is -- are any of you unknowingly driving with the wrong dipstick?
AO Member

County: -
I have a similar question. Mine GTV PH1 has an engine swap CF1 to CF2 and I have now black dipstick. Can’t recall which came from which engine but it left the workshop with black one. The first thing which confuses me is that it’s aligned the way that the black top prevents me from inserting it facing main measurement marks towards the engine. So I can either insert it with those marks facing left or right.

When I check the oil with the marks facing to the right it’s slightly above the max, however once I rotate the dipstick and check again it’s actually closer to the “min” than “max” mark. I was told to fill in above the max reading of that dipstick(to the very end of the scale actually) since it’s “different”. But if black (mine) is shorter than yellow one then this doesn’t make any sense (obviously).
Okay so what on earth.

What is the reliable way (if any) of checking those readings and solving this <...> other than having to drain the oil completely and then fill in ~4.25l (2.0TS takes 4.5l when it’s bone dry as per the actual AR service manual) to see how it reads when the amount of oil is known to be **properly correct**?
AO Silver Member

County: -
If oil and filter are changed and oil is thoroughly drained, any TS will take exactly 5 litres of oil. I drain oil for at least an hour.

The trouble is, doing it that way the oil is so clean it makes reading it on the dipstick difficult.

If it is not where it os meant to be, there is a mismatch between dipstick and tube.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
2.0 TS CF2 should have the yellow topped dip stick

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
dipstick

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page