Jtd engine noise eml - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Jtd engine noise eml

Just wondering if anyone can help, I have a 2001 156 2.4JTD I`ve noticed recently a noise which sounds like a jet engine when I accelerate, I immediately thought the turbo, so I checked the pipes and the intake pipe was split, I replaced it and the bottom hose looks fine however the noise is still there. The turbo works perfectly fine at low revs with the car pulling hard through the gears up to 50mph. The engine management light then comes on after that and the turbo seems to cut out, releasing the accelerator makes the light go out and if I press it again slightly the turbo comes back in.
I am assuming it is the turbo but I dont want to spend money on a recon turbo if its a problem such as the intercooler etc, I dont have any experience with TD`s so any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Hampshire
Get someone to scan it that may help you to find out whether or not its electronic like a sensor or the EGR valve .A scan should cost around £40 quid
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 16-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Garage
Yes it looks that might be the way to go, The car actually broke down today. The engine management light came on and the turbo cut out as usual, so I did as normally do and lifted off, only this time the engine cut out, I tried 4 times to start it, the engine turned over but it wouldn`t fire, I left the car for an hour and returned with a tow rope only to find it fired up straight away, strange!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
eml , engine , jtd , noise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page