Noisy tappet on 3.2 V6 - oil flush cure? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By amclean

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 27-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Inverclyde

Member car:

'04 156 GTA

Noisy tappet on 3.2 V6 - oil flush cure?

I've got one, maybe two, noisy hydraulic tappets, definitely noticeable at idle. It's a 3.2 V6 GTA engine with around 63k.

The car is due an oil change soon, currently running Gulf Competition fully synthetic 10w60. I have some Forte engine flush I intend to use.

Is there any benefit in

- Dumping the spent oil and filter
- Install new filter, refill with a new cheap oil then add the Forte flush and run for 30 mins or so
- Drain this oil and remove filter
- Install 2nd new filter and refill engine with new fully synthetic 10w60 oil (Millers CFS this time)

Or is adding the Forte to the current oil enough to hopefully flush the tappet.

Any hints/tips appreciated.

Cheers
Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I would first read this thread about GTA engine after using engine flush

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ing-a-lot.html
Chris155

Has it had a cam belt snap?

AO Silver Member

County: -
Dead against flushing engines out with these solvents. Modern oils have enough cleaning agents to keep your engine clean so why on earth anyone can come to the conclusion that flushing your engine with the same sort of products used to clean oil spills is going to magically fix a sticking valve lifter is beyond me. This sort of aggressive chemical solvent is fine for an old tractor but not for our finely tuned machines! Would you use a brillo pad to clean your car? Didn't think so... So why use something just as nasty on the inside!!

Noisy tappet on a V6 is down to a sticking valve lifter/s. If it's not overly loud just don't worry about it and get some quotes to have them all done at some point. For the meantime, just crank up the music so you don't hear them anymore but don't flush your V6 out with nasty chemical crap.

164 V6 24v "Zender Alfa Sport"

Past glories: Sud 1.5ti, Alfetta GTV, GTV6, 33 1.5ti, 33 1.7ie, 164 3.0 V6, 164 3.0 V6, GTV 1.8TS, 156 1.6 TS, 159 2.4 JTDm QTronic.
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 27-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'04 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
Has it had a cam belt snap?
Yes Chris, at least 2 years ago at 43k, before I bought it. It was rebuilt by Alfa Romeo. I had the cam cover off last year and think maybe some grit/dirt got in then, which maybe now in the lifter. Would the damage from a piston hitting the valve and subsequent shock to the lifter manifest itself 2 years later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6junky View Post
Dead against flushing engines out with these solvents. Modern oils have enough cleaning agents to keep your engine clean so why on earth anyone can come to the conclusion that flushing your engine with the same sort of products used to clean oil spills is going to magically fix a sticking valve lifter is beyond me. This sort of aggressive chemical solvent is fine for an old tractor but not for our finely tuned machines! Would you use a brillo pad to clean your car? Didn't think so... So why use something just as nasty on the inside!!

Noisy tappet on a V6 is down to a sticking valve lifter/s. If it's not overly loud just don't worry about it and get some quotes to have them all done at some point. For the meantime, just crank up the music so you don't hear them anymore but don't flush your V6 out with nasty chemical crap.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs View Post
I would first read this thread about GTA engine after using engine flush

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ing-a-lot.html
Fair enough Pascs, the Forte seems to have a good name, but I dont want to take the risk.

I might still buy a cheap oil and spare filter and flush through with oil only.

Cheers
AO Member

County: Sligo

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

If I were you I'd give this a try: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engin...his-cheap.html
Certainly won't do any harm and it made a big difference in my case (less noise at idle). At the very least it'll make sure the lifters get filled with fresh oil.

I'll second the opinions on the engine flush stuff, no firsthand experience with it but any half decent engine oil already has loads of detergent in it to help clean your engine. Better off changing the oil a few times in a row if you're worried about dirt.
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 01-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'04 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinH View Post
Better off changing the oil a few times in a row if you're worried about dirt.
Yes, I intended to buy 5litres of cheaper semi synthetic and flush through with that. I will also purchase two oil filters and replace the filter twice.

Last night I also bought a new engine stabiliser bar and thermostat, so I'll do those at the same time as well as flush the coolant system and new coolant, just need to check which colour of paraflu UP I have in the car.
thomash likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV, RCZ, KTM

Someone told me diesel engine oil has more cleaners in than oil designed for petrol engines and safer clean/flush is to run diesel oil for 500 miles then change again to the normal stuff. Don't know what truth is in this.
Chris155

The valve in that tappet can be damaged when the belt snaps causing a ticking on startup. The only way to solve it is to replace the tappet.

If Alfa themselves rebuilt it then I would have expected them to replace all of the tappets

AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Caine View Post
Someone told me diesel engine oil has more cleaners in than oil designed for petrol engines and safer clean/flush is to run diesel oil for 500 miles then change again to the normal stuff. Don't know what truth is in this.
I've read something about this too. Some people use diesel oil all the time. Not sure what the conclusion, if any, or if there is some science behind this to back it up.
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 19-10-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'04 156 GTA

Well, against your advice V6 junky I went ahead with the Forte flush. It's non acidic and is used by the local Alfa indie (ex Alfa Romeo UK mech).

Went and added it and ran the motor at idle for 15mins. Drained the spent oil.

Cursed and hissed as I had to move the oil pipe brackets to get at the filter, eventually got it out after a period considering it an impossible space to fit through.

Refilled with semi synthetic and ran the car for 15 mins again at various speeds including the recommendation on the sticky link for the VLA.

Drained the oil again, and removed the filter. The oil was pretty dirty looking, still black.

Installed new filter and refilled with Millers CFS 10w60, and so far good news, no sticky tappet (but I bet it'll be back).

Now i just need to replace the corroded water pipe at the bottom of the radiator, and refill with Paraflu UP. Picked up the replacement from parts dept today.

Cheers
Alan
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I would have been tempted to use a thinner oil such as 10w-50 Silkolene Pro S (or whatever it is called now, Fuchs something...)

10w-60 is pretty much as thick as car oil gets, and it won't circulate or fill tappets as well as the thinner stuff.

The GTA has an oil to air cooler, and certainly doesn't need such a thick oil from a protection point of view for road use in the UK.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cure , flush , noisy , oil , tappet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page