Strange noise when cold on start up. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 20-09-10 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Strange noise when cold on start up.

Having owned my Mjet 16valver for over 2 years now the only thing I've not been able to trace is a funny noise on start up. It only happens in the winter and only when its been left overnight. Its almost like a marble in cup rattling mixed with a sqeaky belt for a couple of seconds before slowly disappearing to nothing.

I've changed everything over the years but haven't seemed to be able to find it. So far I've rulled out as I've changed it all with no change:

Cambelt
tensioners etc
auxbelt and all tensioners/idlers
The dual mass flywheel
waterpump

All I have left is the aircon unit or the diesel pump. Its really weird that it only happens when its been cold. You can gauge temperature of teh night before by how loud it is. The colder the noisier. So any suggestions on what the problem could be as its beginning to get colder in the evenings again and the noise has begun to return would be awesome.

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 9 Old 06-10-10 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
And Bump
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

GTV twinspark

Alternator? Cold makes starting harder and the battery has less oomph, causing more initial load on the alternator. That would definitely make the alt belt squeal, not sure where the other noise though..
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
I'd go for summink in the aircon ,

But thats only my opinion
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 11-10-10 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
nope, its had a genuine alternator on it in the last 2 years. Did think the aircon but can't be sure
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
Having owned my Mjet 16valver for over 2 years now the only thing I've not been able to trace is a funny noise on start up. It only happens in the winter and only when its been left overnight. Its almost like a marble in cup rattling mixed with a sqeaky belt for a couple of seconds before slowly disappearing to nothing.

I've changed everything over the years but haven't seemed to be able to find it. So far I've rulled out as I've changed it all with no change:

Cambelt
tensioners etc
The dual mass flywheel
waterpump

All I have left is the aircon unit or the diesel pump. Its really weird that it only happens when its been cold. You can gauge temperature of teh night before by how loud it is. The colder the noisier. So any suggestions on what the problem could be as its beginning to get colder in the evenings again and the noise has begun to return would be awesome.
Cats can lead you a merry dance noise wise, particularly the front one on V6's
Noisey on cold start up, can sound like a sticking hydraulic valve or sometimes like an exhaust blow. Noise goes after about two mins ticking over.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Could be the clutch on the aircon compressor.

The aircon will be off and the clutch disengaged no matter what the control panel is set to if it is below a certain ambient temperature. (5 or 6ºC IIRC)
AO Member

County: Sligo

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Starter motor? Mine used to make a strange noise on start-up. Apparently it is common for the mechanism to stick. But it was a brief noise, rather than slowly dying away as you describe..

County: Powys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post

Cambelt
tensioners etc
The dual mass flywheel
waterpump

I don't yet own an alfa.. so this will prob be totally useless to you, but the power steering pump on my audi makes a strange sounds in the winter. Prob no help to you at all.. but just my 2p worth.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cold , noise , start , strange

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page