Coolant complete flush and change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

kfp

Coolant complete flush and change

Can someone point me to a step-by-step guide to completely flush out the old coolant from the engine (2.0 TS plastic top) and replace it? I know there must be one on here somewhere but search is bringing up too many matches.

The car is currently SORN'd an not insured so I can't drive it anywhere.

I found one once that alluded to removing the thermostat and running a hose through some of the pipes. Is that a good idea? Will I need a new thermostat gasket?

I need to do it as some time ago I topped the green stuff up with red stuff before I new they shouldn't be mixed (ooops...).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

I can't remember what the thermostat gasket is like - might be worth getting a spare one in case, or get some Hylomar. Take off the expansion tank cap, bottom hose, and thermostat to drain it. Take the thermostat off last so you don't p*ss antifreeze all over the engine block. Use a hosepipe to flush the radiator both ways (from bottom hose up to thermostat and then back) and then the block both ways. Put it back together, fill it with water slowly squeezing the hoses as you go to get rid of airlocks (about 7 litres). Put the heater on full, and run it up to temperature to get the thermostat open. Let it cool down, then drain it, refill with antifreeze and DI water. Put the antifreeze in first so that if you haven't fully drained it, you don't need to worry about not getting enough in! Good luck

Last edited by mave; 18-09-10 at 19:56.
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Undo the bottom hose from the radiator and let it drain out. Fill with plain water and repeat (more than once if necessary). That should do it.

I did a wee experiment recently, mixing blue and red antifreeze...and nothing happened. I ended up with purple antifreeze.

Haven't tried mixing green though....
kfp

Thanks guys. I'll give mave's method a go. With any luck the 5 year red stuff I'm putting in shouldn't need to come out again soon

kfp

well according to the manual it should take 8.4 litres of coolant. So I put 4 litres of coolant in but only managed a further 1 and a bit litres of DI water. Unforunately that means there must be another 3 litres of tap water from my hosepipe in the engine.

Oh well!

AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

n/a

theres some in your heater matrix as well... you're supposed to set it to full max as well..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
change , complete , coolant , flush

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page