1999 Spider wont start after changing the battery - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 01-09-10 Thread Starter

County: Aquitaine
1999 Spider wont start after changing the battery

Help please, I bought a second hand Alfa Romeo TS 16V spider 1999 and recently had to change the battery. The security system reset itself and now the key will trun the negine but wont start it. Because I bought the car second hand and wasn't aware of the fact I do not have the original code numbers to allow the security sytem to be recoded. I am told that there is now way of overriding this and I need a new system which will cost Euros 2000. The only thing missing is the code that code. what do i do> Am I stuck with having spending all this money or can i get a replacement code form Alfa any help would be greatfully received. I love the car and so does my wife, it is her car.. so double reason to need to get it running again. Thanks in advance. Ian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Unlikely that it has lost the code - are you sure the battery in the key is up scratch. lock the car with the key and try to open it with the remote then try the engine again
AO Gold Member

County: Kent
Battery in the key is nothing to do with the immobiliser. I take it the code light is staying on? Worth disconnecting the battery again for half an hour and reconnecting again. If it still stays on, try moving the steering wheel adjustment up and down, the aeriel in the column sometimes gets a bad connection. Of course, try the other key as well, but first, as said, disconnect the battery.
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands
my 145 always does this,

take off both battery leads from the terminals, touch together the leads and keep them cable tied together for about 30 seconds, separate, re-fit leads to battery and it should start,

It always works on my 145, I hope you have the same good luck.
(Post Link) post #5 of 14 Old 03-09-10 Thread Starter

Thanks for the speedy responses, sadly have tried all of these things suugested and been told because the battery was refitted with the ignition key in the lock the settings for the code went back to default and need to be reset. This cannot be done without the source code which was not suppiled to us when we bought the car. Does anybody know how to obtain the source code from Alfa or is there a fix for this? Thanks to everybody who have repsoned for the help.
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Alfa dealer can obtain the codes for your car but you have to provide them with proof of ownership and they do charge a fee(I paid £20)
(Post Link) post #7 of 14 Old 30-09-10 Thread Starter

Thanks to eveerybody for the advice will try the battery disconnect and see what happens. Thanks s73vee will try again although the first time the garage said it wasn't possible. Fingers crossed.
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-10 Thread Starter

Help again please, we have tried Alfa head office customer services and they say they cannot help, mind you I don't think they 1.cared and 2,.even tried. It seems ridiculous to me that as the rightful owner I cannot get the source code for the immobiliser. Please s73vee who did you speak to and how did they manage to get the code? Many thanks Ian.
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
obtaining Alfa codes

Hi, The dealer that I dealt with was Blade Alfa Romeo in Cheltenham on 01242 283000 (if the number is still current) They have recently moved around the corner to Princess Elizabeth way, Cheltenham, GL51 7PA. The aftersales manager was Gareth Malsom and I obtained the relevant codes in November last year by providing proof of ownership although I did buy a replacement key as well. Good luck
(Post Link) post #10 of 14 Old 07-10-10 Thread Starter

Hi s73vee Many thanks for your help, we are now going to try your man and see if he is able to help us too. Really appreciate all your effort and will let you know how we get on. Once again many thanks, Ian.
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

My dealer got codes for me over the phone and without any proof of ownership....which was quite handy for me at the time!

Apparently, it's not Alfa that hold them - it's a 3rd party. At least that's what they told me about the emergency-start codes...
AO Member

Member car:

alfa166

the ISR can provide the code only for UK registered cars, there is an offical Alfa proceedure to obtain the code which any offical dealer can supply for a cost.
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 12-10-10 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help, we have managed to get intouch with the original Alfa dealer and he has promised to send the codes within 7 days! Fingers crossed.
(Post Link) post #14 of 14 Old 15-01-11 Thread Starter

At last I have the car running again. It appears that some Alfas don't have codes and without the original key you cannot do anything but replace the system!! However, a new battery and leaving it disconnected as suggested did the trick so thank you to everybody who helped me get the wheels back on the tramac. All the best for 2011 to wishing you happy motoring.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
1999 , battery , changing , ecu or immobiliser , key or immob or code , spider , start