alternator re-location - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

jonsnapart

alternator re-location

I'm in the process of putting my engine back together.. most of us know what a pain it is to change the alternator.. my twinnie is not equipped with air conditioning, therefore I have a huge space at the front of the engine where the alternator could be situated, there are even threaded bosses in the front of the engne block to take a bracket.. it would be easy enough to fabricate a front alternator bracket, but I was wondering if any other models that shared the 2 litre ts block ever had the alternator mounted in this position.. this would make sourcing a bracket and appropriate length drivebelt easier..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
how often do you intend to change the alternator???
jonsnapart

knowing my bloody luck quite often.. it's a 14 year old car and I'm putting the same alternator back in..no idea how long it will last.. it's a hobby car which I'm keeping.. so no rush.. so while its in bits I thought I'd look at shifting it.. every car has its pig job from hell.. and on a twinnie it's changing the alt. I've seen a drawing of a twinnie with the alt at the front but don't know which model.. if I can get a bracket for a tenner.. or maybe spend a sunny afternoon welding.. it may save me a lot of grief later on.. and I won't have to stick a post on here asking how to get the damn thing out of the hole like everyone else that's tried it has..and how nice it would be to change it in twenty minutes with a cup of tea in my left hand... does that answer your question??

Last edited by jonsnapart; 27-07-10 at 00:31.

AO Member

Member car:

MiTo Cloverleaf

Be sure about the direction it turns. If the serpentine belt loops around it the other way, it may run 'backwards' accidentally.

Although.....does that make a difference? Yes...I think it does.
AO Member

County: -
I personally would leave it. While it may be a pain in the ****, a job like that is so much more satisfying when its finished.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsnapart View Post
knowing my bloody luck quite often.. it's a 14 year old car and I'm putting the same alternator back in..no idea how long it will last.. it's a hobby car which I'm keeping.. so no rush.. so while its in bits I thought I'd look at shifting it.. every car has its pig job from hell.. and on a twinnie it's changing the alt. I've seen a drawing of a twinnie with the alt at the front but don't know which model.. if I can get a bracket for a tenner.. or maybe spend a sunny afternoon welding.. it may save me a lot of grief later on.. and I won't have to stick a post on here asking how to get the damn thing out of the hole like everyone else that's tried it has..and how nice it would be to change it in twenty minutes with a cup of tea in my left hand... does that answer your question??
Buy a new one before you put it in the car should out last the car...
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa View Post
Buy a new one before you put it in the car should out last the car...
Sounds like a bloody good idea there chap!
jonsnapart

I suppose I could fit a new one.. it would most likely outlast the car and me! getting on a bit!! it's going to be the last car I rebuild.. figuring on being buried in it ... While I'm at it may as well fit a new steering pump..and rack.. and whole new engine..and box..and new... fact is, you have to make decisions about replacing components usually based on a budget, and to me an alternator is a service item.. they are unpredictable.. I've had nearly new ones go pop.. others have lasted forever.. they don't give you any warning .. they just pack in...thats why.. over the years manufacturers have put them in a reasonably accessible place.. Looking at the unused bosses on the front of engine block, I wouldn't mind betting it was the original position in an earlier model sharing the same block...the alt being moved to the back of the engine to make space for the larger AC compressor..

It would be difficult to make the alternator rotate in the opposite direction as that would require a 'figure eight' in the belt and I dont think even I could manage that..

so looks like a sunny sunday afternoon fabricating and welding up a bracket.. Might even make a few and stick them on E bay!!!

Last edited by jonsnapart; 27-07-10 at 22:53.

AO Silver Member

Your going to need to rewire it also...
Also you will need to consider the belt length and getting replacements if different to standard and the the tensioner might need considering as the belt might need to change.

Also if you consider an alternator a service item why not change it like you would a filter?

I just dont see the logic, i'm not against some one coming up with new ideas.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
every car has its pig job from hell.. and on a twinnie it's changing the alt.
I take it you haven't changed a starter motor yet then?

Thats another one to move to the front of the engine, like on my girlfriend's dad's V70 2.4d. Suprise suprise alternator and starter motor are right at the front of the engine, probably less than an hour to remove and re-fit either of them
jonsnapart

The Logic is ....it would be a lot easier to change when eventually it goes unservicable... just like a filter
The engines out..it would be no more difficult to relocate.. if I can source the relevent bracket and belt than to fit it in the original position..
belt length..tension.. and pulley/belt contact length have been considered...
ooo will i have to connect wires to it?? (never thought of that?)
I like making things..
I'm a retired aerospace engineer..
it's my hobby..

in my younger days I used to find changing an aircraft engine.. on an aircraft carrier..in the middle of the north atlantic..in winter.. a bit of a *****...

I would rather not get into a philosophical discourse centered around the relevance of the rhetorical logos..

the original question was...which, if any models were fitted with an alternator in this location??

Last edited by jonsnapart; 28-07-10 at 07:57.

AO Silver Member

Quote:
the original question was...which, if any models were fitted with an alternator in this location??
None to my knowledge...

I did own a 145 once that had aftermarket AirCon and all they did to fit the compressor was to cut some 3 or 4mm plate to size fit some large steel spacers onto the compressor position the compressor and tacked the spacers to the plate... then bolted the plate to the engine using the existing compressor holes, they are a fine pitch thread...
jonsnapart

Thanks Biff..
I'll make up a bracket out of three lumps of 8mm steel plate.. one mounted to the block.. one welded at right angles.. with two holes..and a third bolted on with an elongated hole for adjustment.. I have access to a milling machine and I want it to look like a factory jobbie.. I've been on to a poly belt supplier as an original AC belt is a bit too long because the alternator isn't where it used to be.. and the alternator pulley is a lot smaller than an AC comp. pulley.. thanks for the tip about the fine threads in the bosses..

AO Silver Member

I have an AC bracket and i think 4 bolts if you want them just need postage money...
jonsnapart

Thanks Biff.. but I already got one.. and bought some M fine bolts at the bolt shop today.. thanks for the tip about the threads.. I'd have tried screwing in normal ones and buggered the threads.. that would have been the end of this malarky..
thanks for the offer.. gotta go to the belt shop tomorrow with a piece of string!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
alternator , relocation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page