2.4 JTD 136hp Clicking Noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 19-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
2.4 JTD 136hp Clicking Noise

YouTube - 2.4 JTD loose chain noise Here's a quick explanation to my problem. I really though that I had it solved with the new engine oil but it was a short lived victory. The horrible chain noise is back again and is eating my brains everytime i roll down my windows. As we know so far the problem comes from the oil pump chain and the chain itself cannot be replaced. We need the new damn pump which costs a lot. So I've been wondering...What if I use an oil pump from the 140 or 150hp versions of the JTD 10v engine? I know for a reason that they don't have that noise because the pump is a different one. The main question is will that different pump WORK on my engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

Brera JTDm 210

As far as I am aware the JTD oil pump is driven directly from the crankshaft, so it's not likely to be a noise source. My JTD 10v engine had a bit of a clatter at idle when warm - I think this was probably the injectors. The later versions of the engine probably had different injectors and ECU maps that minimised the noise. The 20v 2.4JTDm engine gets quieter as it warms up, but it's a *lot* quieter than the older engines.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 27-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastocks View Post
As far as I am aware the JTD oil pump is driven directly from the crankshaft, so it's not likely to be a noise source. My JTD 10v engine had a bit of a clatter at idle when warm - I think this was probably the injectors. The later versions of the engine probably had different injectors and ECU maps that minimised the noise. The 20v 2.4JTDm engine gets quieter as it warms up, but it's a *lot* quieter than the older engines.
No. It's the oil pump chain. It has already been checked.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
source a new chain elsewhere? it'll be a common size, so have a new one made?
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 02-08-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
source a new chain elsewhere? it'll be a common size, so have a new one made?
That's the problem. People tell me I cant find the same chain. Have a new one made... Is that like possible? Make a custom chain? I dont really know people from around here who can do it.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
suppliers for agricultural machines, for industrial machines etc... where I worked before we had different types of chains by the meter, you can put a special link in to close them...

measure the length of the chain links, the width, or even better take it with you when you go to the factors...

otherwise, find a way to tension up the chain? I presume the problem is it stretches?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
136hp , clicking , jtd , noise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page