Timing belt - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 23-02-04 Thread Starter

Timing belt

At 62000 its time to change the timing belt on my 146 TS 16v but can someone advise if it is correct that apart from the belt the fixed tensioner and main will need to be replaced and whats the balance belt and tensioner all about? (am i being thick) and does this require changing at any time?

While I have your attention, why is the radio reception so pants!!!! it was bad on my 33 (both roof mount) but its worse on the 146, any solutions tips on both much appriciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Re: Timing belt

While you've go the belts off anyway, change the lot. Better safe than sorry, and any one of them going could jar the system enough to scupper the rest - and your engine.
Radio: Have you checked that the connector is securely plugged into the back on the radio?

My radio was a bit poor, and it was only when I was washing the car did I find that the previous 'owner' had broken it, and just reinserted the faulty part.
Well we also know that the insignificant amount of metal in the panels isn't shielding it anyway...!
(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 23-02-04 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise,I comprehend timing belts etc but a balance belt is new to me? is this part of the timing and to be found in the same location.
I miss my 33, so straight forward, I need to catch up.
I will check the radio connection, good place to start.
bigal

just had the whole lot done at the weekend. got some prices here from alfa for parts no dout they can be got cheaper else where but i got a discount on them(didnt pay the vat) so thought what the hell. this is what i was advised by alfa to change:

timing belt 71719648 23.57
balance shaft belt 60620887 58.13
belt streacher 60596372 67.68
idler bearing 60671573 24.61

in additionto the forces acting on the piston crowns(caused by the expansion of gases) there are:
centrifugal forces of inertia, caused by rotational masses;
alternated forces of inertia of the first and second order generated by the masses with reciprocating motion.

The purpose of the balance belt is to is to eliminate the vibrations that these imbalances cause during opperation.
the imbalance produced by the centrifugal forces and by the alternated forces of inertia of the first order are counteracted by a suitibly counterweighted crankshaft.
the second order caused by the alternated forces of inertia is generally not elliminated in 4 cylinder in line engines. This task is usually left to the engine bearings.
The two balance shafts in this engine, located in the crankcase are counter rotated by a double toothed belt and nullify the second order imbalance.

giving you a smoother and more reliable engine(less likely to wear out engine bearings). They just shaft you 59 for the belt!!!!

Hope that answers you quetion.

Al

bigal

oh yeah and you cant take the timing belt of without taking off the balance belt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyantlers
Thanks for the advise,I comprehend timing belts etc but a balance belt is new to me? is this part of the timing and to be found in the same location.
I miss my 33, so straight forward, I need to catch up.
I will check the radio connection, good place to start.
change the variator at the same time. as mine has gone @ 80K miles, so its worth doing while every thing is off.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal

giving you a smoother and more reliable engine(less likely to wear out engine bearings). They just shaft you 59 for the belt!!!!

Hope that answers you quetion.

Al
How does the balance shaft reduce the engine bearing wear? The balance shaft doesn't run on the same bearings as the crank, so aren't the crank bearings unaffected? I can see how having the balance shafts would reduce the vibration of the whole engine on it's mounts however. Incidentally nattyantlers, not all TS engines have balance belts; the 1.6 doesn't, the 2.0 does, not sure about the 1.8

Its only the 2.0 which has them as the bore and stroke are oversized or not the same.

---------1.4-----1.6----1.8----2.0L
Bore -----82------82----82----83mm
Stroke 64.87---75.65---82.7---91mm

Hope this helps
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 24-02-04 Thread Starter

Its a 1999 S 1800 TS 16V.
So no balance belt, will put the cash towards a new variator as getting the diesel effect on start up when cold.
have been looking at the following site for prices, seems reasonable ?
http://www.!!!!!!!!!.com
But no variator for 1800 any other sites or places (surrey) you can recomend?
Thanks for the multitude of help !!!!!!
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 24-02-04 Thread Starter

that would be the power alfa site
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750 GTV

www.ebspares.co.uk

Last year
cambelt 17
balancer belt 23
Tensioner A 69
Tensioner B 28
Variator 65
Set of Champion Plugs 48
+ VAT
AO Silver Member

Thanks, I was about to ask if anyone knew what the bore and stroke of the 2.0 was!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page