realy need some help please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 30-06-10 Thread Starter

County: Lancashire

Member car:

156 2.4 jtd

realy need some help please

on my alfa 156 2.4 jtd ther is a vidrating noise coming from the fan belt. so iv have takin it of then run the car and it was lovely again. i have then removed the gide pully and the tentioner pully with may i add was a pain in the a--e they seem to be fine no play in tham atall but i did notice that the gide pully well i think its a gide pully is atached to a spring and this a cant get to cuz of the crank pully. so my question is would any one be able to shed some light on where and y??? this vidrating is there ????? i have now changed all three pullys and the vidrating is still there and i forgot to add this is only on tick over witha bit ov peddle it is fine. so im thinkin could it be the air con pump pas steering pump or alternator ?????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Auckland
Had similar probs on my V6. Solution ? Turns out most multi-rib V-belts have an orientation - look at the printing on the belt - you'll see that the text will be at a definite angle, something like:

7PK1985 Bosch
7PK1985 Bosch
7PK1985 Bosch
7PK 1985 Bosch

Essentially, read from the top :
The direction the text is 'walking' towards is the INSIDE
So, position the belt with the text pointing towards the engine side. The built in bias of the belt will actually help to prevent squeaks and other nasty noises within the engine bay.

Worked for me, and please correct me if I have given you information you already have.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 01-07-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.4 jtd

hi the vibraqting noise is the belt and i have now been told it could be the cranck shaft pully as it has a bamper in it and it may need replacing as it could be roting just like rubber bushes do this is running like a wheel out ov balance. does that make sence???? i will look at wot you are telling me but it started doin this befor i changed the belt
AO Member

County: Auckland
yes I admit thats a possiblity, though a very very slight one ! It takes an awful amount of work to actively kill the crankshaft pulley. From experience, it is more likely that the water pump pulley can be making excessive noise, as it may be slightly off-true when your water pupmp was lat replaced. Also, there are 2 idler pulleys (that don't do anything other than act as belt spacers) whose bearings can make a bit of noise.

My suggestion therefore is :
1) get a new poly V-belt, and have a look at the way the text is written on the belt for alignment data.
2) take the old belt off
3) while it is off, use a cleaner (like WD-40, or similar oil-lubricant-degummer) to thourougly clean the wheels and pulleys associated with the accessory belt.
4) thread the belt on - from experience, both to detension and release the belt will involve a long arm lever + allen key head. Plenty of more competent help from guys on here.
5) button up the car, and then do a test run to listen to the engine.

Hope this helps somewhat....
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 05-07-10 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.4 jtd

hi i have now replaced the bottom crank pully and it seems to have done the job thanks for your help

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
realy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page