Thirsty and lazy 2.0ts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 15-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork
Thirsty and lazy 2.0ts

I've a 2004 (f/l)166 2.0ts Ti. My wife drives it most of the time and she's been complaining for the last few weeks saying all she seems to be doing is putting petrol into it. She travels 12 miles every day to work and back.(main road not built up) the computer reads 24mpg. I took it up the country last weekend, on the way there I set the cruise control at a steady 70mph on the motorway for two hours and averaged 28mpg. The engine control light was coming and going but is staying on now all the time, the car starts fine but is very hesitant from start and when under load appears to be pinking, it has very little go at low revs. I have another 166 2.0ts (2001) that was running fine until the cam belt stripped all its teeth before Christmas, I decided to swap the maf to se if there was any improvement but there wasent. I read on another forum about removing the cone fitted to the air cleaner so I decided to try it last night. After removing it I noticed it was slow to start, on a four mile trip this morning the car would not rev over 3000revs. I replaced the cone and the car remained in limp mode, I disconnected the battery still no difference, swapped back the original maf and it ran better. I took it for a run and it might be my imagination but I think it feels better, (mpg figures will tell the real story) The engine control light remains on.
Has anyone any suggestions??
Kieran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Bucks

Member car:

GT DIEsel

You have 2 options :

Get the faults read on the ECU and fix the problem

Randomly try replacing and fixing things until you happen upon the problem

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Put a post in the ireland sectian and ask if anyones has alfadiag and a cable that they can hook it for you?
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 16-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

A friend of mine has a garage nearby and we're going to stick it on his diag this afternoon, I'll post up the results.

County: Surrey
I think it will be the Cam phase sensor, as when this goes the motor should be limited to 3000 rpm. jmho
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitropercent View Post
I think it will be the Cam phase sensor, as when this goes the motor should be limited to 3000 rpm. jmho
Yep. For the other symptoms, I'd be looking at the MAF and the coolant temperature sensor.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 17-06-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well it turned out to be the front lamba sensor, swapped with a one from my old car and it seems fine now. The diag brought up three faults, old Maf fault(I swapped that earlier) old temp sensor (but the temp guage and the diag read the temp the same) and the lamba sensor. The acceleration seems smoother now and the car is now ticking over at 1000revs it was 1200revs before. The lamba was white in colour when i took it out, the one I replaced it with was dark grey. Funnily enough I drove the car this morning to a town nearby, 7 there and back, main road, was in traffic all the way there and back so I was travelling at about 55 to 60 mph and I returned 35mpg (according to the computer) this was before I put the car on the diag!! Alfa's
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

I'd suggest coolant temp sensor first

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
20ts , lazy , thirsty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page