No more 2.4 JTD smoke - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 19-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire
No more 2.4 JTD smoke

I had a black cloud follow me for ages and a diesel smell from the block
Further investigation uncovered 5 blown injector seals and a filthy EGR valve The seals have now been replaced and the EGR valve given the old brake cleaner and screwdriver treatment. It is now shining like a new penny and the leak has gone
the old bus is spooling up nicely now with no lag and restored power. My 10V 2.4 JTD SW has had a remap for many years and i was thinking that might be why the injector seals have gone Has anyone blown the injector seals due to a remap? I was just wondering if that was a consequence of the extra power ???

There is No Spoon!!

XBOX Live Gamertag - berge katse add me
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Rombo di Tuono
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
How old is the car D? I've had injector seals go. Was on my 155 though so high miler and older but not mapped so its all relative. You could always try an o seal with a higher shore rating to toughen it up . If you find a distributor of shamban busak in your area i'm sure they can advise depending on boost pressure and seal gap. They will be pretty cheap too. Don't know what the originals were though. Perhaps inlet temps are getting a bit high. An FMIC would sort that out. Just got one myself

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 19-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: East Ayrshire
The old bus is 10 years old ,the 1st incarnation of the 10v JTD with Cpt Kirk mileage 140K .But its had a recent Turbo and an intercooler refurb . I just put the OE Alfa copper seals in ,they seem to be doing the trick .My map is 170BHP so its not a crazy smoker job , i just put the belching down to the EGR being absolutely filthy .So far so good on the fix . I noticed the glowplug coil isn't flashing anymore after start up . i have kept the engine cover off to check for leaks at the injectors .No sign of any yet ,so the ol warwagon lives on to fight another day I will plug it into the examiner if anything goes awry in the next week or so .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
jtd , smoke

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page