2.5 v6 156 common problems.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yorkshirekeith
  • 1 Post By Bruesed

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 16-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Somerset
Hmmm 2.5 v6 156 common problems....

hey all,

My mate would like a v6 alfa, I don't know to much about the v6 engine (hence the post)
we would appreciate any advice or warning before he travels all the way to leicester to buy one:

2000 ALFA ROMEO 156 2.5 V6 24v

thank you all in advance

Rich and Rusty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Shropshire
make sure the cambelt all puleys and the water pump have been changed ,i reckon u need to change cam belt every 30k to be worry free, also test drive it and get it revvin make sure it doesnt die at about 4.5 to 5k revs cause that ll be the air flow meter there about £170 for a replacement , also if its a 6 speed manual check gear changes are smooth the top bush's go and there about £100 to get sorted , all these are common faults from my experience and lookin on this forum , all of witch i wished i had checked when i brought mine lol ,, other than this there thirsty 35 to the gallon on a run it can be under twenty if you have a heavy right foot round town ,but when there in good order there a great car smooth and quiet when it needs but loadsa of torque when you need it ,fun on a and b roads and that engine note from 5.5 to emmmm 7k ish will always cheer you up , if your mate wants a motorway cruiser look elsewhere if he wants a car to get him from a to b thats cheap to maintain also look elsewhere but if he wants a quick saloon thats not german there is nothing else ,and there better looking than the germans ,,good luck with it all though

(Post Link) post #3 of 15 Old 17-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks jam, great advice!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlou156 View Post
Strange the ad says £1290, but the price in the window in the pic is £995...!
(Post Link) post #5 of 15 Old 19-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

yeah I noticed that! interesting......

County: Londonderry
Hi ppl any advice please my Alfa 156 s/w has started dripping water from back off engine not overheating ?
AO Silver Member

County: Northamptonshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by james v6 24v View Post
Hi ppl any advice please my Alfa 156 s/w has started dripping water from back off engine not overheating ?
Hi Ya

It could be the water feed that goes to the water cooler sandwich.

only way to find out is have the car running and get in the engine bay with a torch and give a good look and feel at the back of engine behind the plenum.

if you can give anymore detail after a look and need more help give us a shout
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
The original question was asked a while back but just to give ( in my opinion obviously ) a slightly more accurate answer; for the benefit of anyone thinking of a similar purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6 jam View Post
make sure the cambelt all puleys and the water pump have been changed ,i reckon u need to change cam belt every 30k to be worry free, also test drive it and get it revvin make sure it doesnt die at about 4.5 to 5k revs cause that ll be the air flow meter there about £170 for a replacement , also if its a 6 speed manual check gear changes are smooth the top bush's go and there about £100 to get sorted , loadsa of torque when you need it ,fun on a and b roads and that engine note from 5.5 to emmmm 7k ish will always cheer you up ,
I'd always budget to change the belt on any second hand alfa unless there's a belt service receipt from a very reputable dealer in the book and even then I'd check it out. The commonest reasons for selingl fully working cars is the inability to to cope with paying as much for the upcoming clutch or cam belt change as the car is worth.
People will trot out this mistake all the time but It's the twin spark engine that needs the cambelt changing every 35.000 the JTD and V6s have prooved reliable in this respect and should do 60 thousand ( or 5 years ) safely. The time is important though as belts deteriorate slightly over time even sitting in the garage, unlike chains.
Top bushes for the clutch release arm are cheap and an easy diy change. but they don't make much difference on their own if the gear change is difficult there are probably other things need doing as well. bleed slave cylinder, change brake fluid, change master cylinder, new clutch, new release bearing, etc. I'd walk away from that one unless you know what it is and know you can fix it. Never believe the "an easy fix" line on ebay. if it was, they'd have done it.
Contrary to the above statement the V6 has the worst torque characteristics of all the 156 range.
but it does make the best power (other than the GTA obviously) and is very much fun to drive as stated using the high rev range and six speed box the sound of it guzzling down fuel at 14 or 15 miles to the gallon when you drive it that way is, as also stated above, superior to the noise of any other car I've owned.
Mine returns 29 to the gallon on a run, 6th gear being not a motorway cruising overdrive, and about 22 around town, closer to 18 on a sunday blast.
You've gotta love 'em though
3litrev6 likes this.

Last edited by Yorkshirekeith; 31-07-15 at 21:42.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
My main concerns on a 156 of that age would be rust, especially in the floorpan and the inner front wings.

The 156 tends to rust quite badly, and it was a step back considering many earlier models didn't suffer.

Plus they are getting to the age where corrosion can be a problem on any car.

Suspension is also a weak area, as is the cooling systen. The radiators don't last much longer than about 5 years or so if you drive on salted roads in winter and headgasket failure isn't unheard of.

Then of course the cambelt as mentioned above.

Get a good one though, especially in Veloce/SP configuration and it a great car to drive.
AO Member

County: South Africa

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Alfa 156 maf issues

Hi,

i recently, should i say. about two months ago, fitted a new original bosch MAF.

It is now giving issues again, open circuit on ground ERROR 100
Does anyone have some advice, on what could be causing my car to damage MAF's?

Or is it just a factory faulty MAF?

i have a high flow air filter on the car, but it is enclosed
Contact [email protected]
maxiboy wales likes this.

Last edited by Bruesed; 09-05-16 at 07:08. Reason: contact details enclosed
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
How much oil is on the air filter element?

It doesn't matter if it is enclosed, if there is too much oil on the filter element oil will be drawn off and it will inevitably contaminate the MAF.

Have you tried cleaning it by spraying Isopropyl alcohol or similar through it?

Most of the time they will clean up ok, but don't go poking around in there with a cotton bud etc as the bit that hold the hot wire is very fragile.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Error on ground? Never seen that, normally they just give bad data. Is it highlighting an earthing issue?
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
How much oil is on the air filter element?

It doesn't matter if it is enclosed, if there is too much oil on the filter element oil will be drawn off and it will inevitably contaminate the MAF.

Have you tried cleaning it by spraying Isopropyl alcohol or similar through it?

Most of the time they will clean up ok, but don't go poking around in there with a cotton bud etc as the bit that hold the hot wire is very fragile.
I have no oil on the air filter, but no i have not tried cleaning it yet, as it is still new.
Will give it try though
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
Error on ground? Never seen that, normally they just give bad data. Is it highlighting an earthing issue?
This is the error reading that is given by the diagnostics dnecudiag
AO Member

County: Armagh
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by james v6 24v View Post
hi there !
did you fix the problem with you coolant leaking under the engine ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , common , faults , problems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page