Rust on Engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 06-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

Fiat 500

Help Rust on Engine

Hi guys...i have a 3.2 GT which i bought 3 months ago. i live in johannesburg (in south africa) which is inland...anyway i drove it to durban (coastal) recently and i've noticed that the bolts and buts on the engine as well as the copper rod (perpendicular to the chrome intakes) have corroded very badly! the dealer says that this is 'normal' and i just have to remove the rust and then repaint it. Has anyone seen anything like this before? the car is still under warranty so are they trying to avoid fixing it for me? could this become a serious problem? I was only in durban for about 6 hrs so i cannot believe that it rusted so badly in that time! if i lived there the whole engine would probably have rusted by now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
I saw something on here a while back about nuts andbolts rusting on a GT. The guy took it into his dealer who replaced them all under warrenty. Think it was in the door area rather than under the bonnet though.
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg

Member car:

Q5

Hey pranam, firstly, the copper won't rust. If there is Aluminium, then that can get these white marks, almost like a powder like substance. I would be very surprised if the bolts have rusted that badly.

Was the car from a coastal area? I live in PMB dude. There is not one speck of rust anywhere on my car and its now 10 years old.

Give it a nice clean and then see what it looks like. If you still worried, take some pics and let us have a look.

When nexted you coming down here?
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 06-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Fiat 500

thanks for the info guys

mason its a weird situation...the car has been in jhb and pretoria it's whole life...before i took it down i shined the chrome pipes (with a dry cloth) and there wasnt a spot of rust anywhere...since i got back (easter) it's just been parked off mostly (done about 200km)...i open up the bonnet on sunday and there's rust on all the bolts!! even the bolts not on the engine! that copper rod thing had turned green and blue like copper does...i just want to know if this is something i have to fix or maybe the use the warranty?

i'll be back in pmb during the world cup but i'm coming in my friend's bmw are you coming up to jhb anytime?
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 10-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Fiat 500

ok so i have a revised theory...i think my coolant is leaking...is it possible that this could have caused the metal to rust? the bolts at the bottom of the chrome intakes look pretty bad and the bolts on the engine are terrible...now if the coolant caused this then surely the warranty will have to replace everything? also, can the coolant cause serious damage to my engine?
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg

Member car:

Q5

If the coolant is leaking, I reckon you will see it straight away. Plus the level in the expansion tank will drop.

Some advise that coolant could damage your paintwork if it comes in contact. So I guess it could do some damage, but if its as prolific as you put it, then it would be something else. Seriously dude, send me some pics and I can give a much better explanation.

The world cup is just around the corner, when you down here give me a shout.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 12-05-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Fiat 500

thanks mason...i'm taking it back to arnold chatz (even though i hate them) next week...i cant really take pics because stupid windows 7 refuses to recognise any phone or camera plugged in to it! but i will try to make a plan. cool dude...will definitely give you a shout.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , rust

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page