engine swap from 1.6 to 3.0 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 10-04-10 Thread Starter

County: Vilnius
engine swap from 1.6 to 3.0

Hello.
I have a 1981 alfetta saloon with a little 1.6 engine. Since that engine has no special value i'm thinking of replacing it. New engine would be 3.0 V6 24v from AR 164. What should I be aware of? Do I need to buy custom ECU or will it be okay to use stock 164's ECU? What other 3.0 24v can I use? Like 166's? I've never done anything like before, especially with a transaxle alfa. What do I need to connect 164 3.0 engine with alfetta's transmission?
If anyone finds my questions stupid, excuse me, I simply have a little alfa dream in my head
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Wiltshire
You will need to use lots of parts from a 75 3.0 V6 ..... Engine flywheel & engine mountings .. complete propshaft assembly .. complete gearbox (stronger clutch , higher final drive ratio , limited slip differential ) driveshafts , gearlinkage rod ..front hubs ..front discs and calipers .. brake and clutch master cylinders.... 75 V6 radiator fan and prob header tank .. 75 fuel pump ...... 24V V6 is about twice the weight of the 1.6 twincam so probably need to convert to 75 V6 power steering ......... Problems also with front suspension ... 75 V6 torsion bars will be needed but something at the back of my mind tells me that swapping Torsion bars between Alfetta and 75 is not as easy as it sounds .......... Use ECU and complete engine wiring loom including relay sets from the donor vehicle ..............Problems will be things like getting the mechanical speedo to work with 75 gearbox ... and getting the bonnet to close over a 24V plenum chamber ..

Oh yeah .... the other things you will need are ..lots of time .. lots of patience .. and loadsa money !!
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 10-04-10 Thread Starter

County: Vilnius
yeah lots of things to do, but still most intersting part for me is how to connect that V6 to transmission. You say I should use flywheel and gearbox from a 75 V6 but what modifications should be done to propshaft? Should I use V6 propshaft?
About power steering.. I looked up weights of 1.6 and 3.0 sohc on the internet and found that weight difference between them is 114 pounds, 3.0 is about 50% heavier than 1.6. will it compromise steering wheel so badly?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , swap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page