What shall I change as well as the cambelt? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 04-03-10 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
What shall I change as well as the cambelt?

As some of you may have read I have just purchased an S reg 1998 916 spider P2 2L TS with 81,000 miles on the clock. The car has come with no service history but has obviously been service reguarly as the oil is clean. So going to do the belt as its 5K overdue. Looks like it was done at 38 as it written on the cam cover (honestly, people!) but what else shall I throw in the mix while I've got the belt off. I'm not doing the variator as is quiet and you know what the say. If it ain't broken.....
So what else then?
Tensioner, Idler, Waterpump??(on cambelt) I'm guessing this TS has the other thin toothed belt on it (only ever worked on 155 ts which doesn't) so that too. Balance shaft? Are there any other bearings or tensioners that I should be aware of which could need looking at?

Cheers to all roll on the summer

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Why not do the whole lot at that mileage? For the extra cost of the variator you'll kick yourself if it starts to 'diesel' 5 000 miles down the line. You'll need:-

Cam and balance belts.
Cambelt tensioners, balance belt tensioner.
Variator and seal.
Cam cover rubber gasket.
Water-pump.
You might consider:-
Spark plugs (Stoneacre have them for just over £50 on eBay at the moment).
Auxiliary belt and tensioners.

You'll also need the tools-cam locks, TDI indicator, variator removal tool. Ribe bits, torque wrench, lock-tite, some odd swan neck spanners for tensioners.
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 04-03-10 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I've got the tools for doing the belts! Guessing you mean TDC indicator Going to service her at the same time so cheers for the heads up on the plugs deal. I hate doing variators!!!! they are always welded on to the camshaft when I do them!
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Yep as armoore says a Dial Test Indicator for accurate timing. Wonder if John Bull/ British Indicators still make them? Just a reminiscing thought on my part,sorry?:
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Of course they don't Zed! Stupid Boy! The family silver was flogged off long ago. : Sorry, off topic should be in the Rant room.
AO Silver Member

County: Antrim
all the above - defo do the variator, it will go all of a sudden and you cant really do it without doing the full cam change.

make sure ALL tensioners and Aux done too.

no need for a waterpump on a TS generally IMO.
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 04-03-10 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Well I'm going to snub all of you and not do the variator for now as I'm doing a full service and funds will just go through the roof for the month. If it goes it goes. I can justify the cost of another belt and varitor next month n(plus I really really really hate doing them) just incase you didn't get that from my previous posts. Just made the order. Waiting for a price.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
Guessing you mean TDC indicator I hate doing variators!!!! they are always welded on to the camshaft when I do them!
Yes I did mean TDC, must've had some sort of mental aberration!

I made up some jaw protectors for the vice and usually have someone to put their weight on the bench whilst I do the undoing. I also have a set of 3/4 drive sockets and 'T' bars which I've only used a few times but have been worth their weight in Mars bars when I have had to use them.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Well I'm going to snub all of you and not do the variator for now
I can remember the old Popeye cartoons (probably wouldn't get past the PC crowd these days) and when he sets out across the desert a cow skull says"You'll be soooorrrryyyyy". Hope you get away with it and if you don't I'll resist saying "I told you so".
If you were closer I'd give you a hand, but it sounds as though you've done a few anyway.
(Post Link) post #10 of 16 Old 04-03-10 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Cheers for the offer. I pay well in beer and petrol money!!!! Just nice to have a helping hand. All my mate are about as good a chocolate hairdryer! Anyway if I don't get away with it which I imagine I won't knowing my luck it will at least be a couple of months down the line and so should have recovered from this little lot of cambelt repairs......and repacing the springs and driveshaft on my 156.....and doing the engine swap on my 155.... and fitting the rest of the wide arch kit to my 155......and repairing the bumper on the spider...........and repair the aircon on the 156........and fit the new exhaust to the spider.......and get my mates daihatsu pickup going again after I airlocked the diesel lines by not filling the filter with diesel......Bugg£r!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Cheers for the offer. I pay well in beer and petrol money!!!! Just nice to have a helping hand. All my mate are about as good a chocolate hairdryer! Anyway if I don't get away with it which I imagine I won't knowing my luck it will at least be a couple of months down the line and so should have recovered from this little lot of cambelt repairs......and repacing the springs and driveshaft on my 156.....and doing the engine swap on my 155.... and fitting the rest of the wide arch kit to my 155......and repairing the bumper on the spider...........and repair the aircon on the 156........and fit the new exhaust to the spider.......and get my mates daihatsu pickup going again after I airlocked the diesel lines by not filling the filter with diesel......Bugg£r!
Are you married? That's not a proposition! I ask as I used to get that involved and had a wife, now I don't get as involved and don't have a wife either.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Quote:
Originally Posted by armoore View Post
Are you married? That's not a proposition! I ask as I used to get that involved and had a wife, now I don't get as involved and don't have a wife either.
Mmmm. This is very interesting. Since I've been married, I've been getting more and more involved too. Since I got a place with a garage to work in, it’s really exploded.

There must be more to this, but what could it be?
AO Platinum Member

Get a wife.. move into the garage!

But anyways.. yes, leave the variator for now and see how it goes. It won't let go all of a sudden and won't break anything if it starts to rattle. Water pump might be a contender at that mileage but even that should be good until the next cam belt change.

Ralf S.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

i would do the water pump - I have had several where the impeller spins on the shaft and one where it has actually detached - your spending that amount of money and the wp is only abot £35.00
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 13-03-10 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
I've done it all and had it running beautifully. I know a knackered variator doesn't break the engine. Done all the seals and pump today plus all tensioners etc. Cost me £600 in bits. just the broken plug now!

ANd no I'm not married!!! but I do have a gf!
AO Platinum Member

G/f's don't mind a car addiction.. they know you're so busy with your hobby that you have no time for a bit on-the-side totty!

Wives... different story..

G/f's just turn into nutters once you marry them.. (and they wonder why men are "afraid" of committment) Really girls, it's just our way of keeping you normal!

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cambelt , change

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page