Engine Oil level slightly above max - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Engine Oil level slightly above max

my JTS was recently serviced and the oil level was about 200ml above the max level. Can i leave it as it is or get the mechs to drain down to the max level? what are the implications of oil level slightly above max?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Medio

County: Bratislavsky
That’s not that much over; it will burn away, don’t worry.

You mean the garage put 200ml more into the engine? How can you see on the dipstick 200ml? How much above the MAX mark is it on the dipstick? MIN-MAX is about 1 liter of oil and its about 2cm on the dipstick. So 200ml more should be just few mm more above MAX mark. Is it like this?

If you overfill oil really much, the usual consequences are that the crankshaft and condors are hitting the oil surface and make it foaming what can cause the oil pump to suck in air bubbles. Other thing is that it penetrates more through the piston rings due to high crankcase pressure, burns and can damage the cat. But for this, you would really need to overfill. 200 ml is nothing.

TS should have 4,4 liters of oil inside including the filter. When I change the oil I need to put in 4,6 – 4,7 liters to have the level on MAX on the dipstick.

147GTA,Grigio Metallico,Imola leather,3.75l conversion,ported heads,F575 TB,Carbon plenum,Stainless manifolds,EQ pipes,Supersprint silenced cat back,18" GT multispokes,KW V3,Galfer 6pot 355mm,Brembo sport rear

147 1.6TS, Nerro,Beige Interior,Galfer Extreme Brake kit,2,0TS intake manifold,Custom ex. manifold,200CPI cat,Supersprint silenced center + OO backbox,GTA spoiler,GTA side skirts,GTA headlights,Blaupunkt LA MP74 + Focal + MacAudio + Dynamat + HERZ subwoofer
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 01-03-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

yes, i based it on the min to max mark being 1 liter and make the estimation of 200ml as the overfill is less than half the length of the min to max mark. i don't think the garage deliberately did it but it was maybe just incomplete draining. anyway thanks for the useful info.
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 156

I have seen first hand what happens when you over fill your oil level. It was quite impressive to be able to see straight through an engine block! The crank was hitting the oil which obviously put strain on it until it snapped sending half the crank, one piston and its conrod through the side of the block and onto the motorway! but that was an extreme case on a VW Polo with a careless owner. I very much doubt 200ml will get anywhere near the crank. But if your really worried take it back and have it drained.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , level , max , oil , slightly

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page