Loss of power in my 156 JTD - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 22-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Loss of power in my 156 JTD

Hey i have noticed recently that my 156 hasnt been performing as it normally does, it is the 2.4JTD and recently when you start to drive it accelerates fine until yoou hit about 3000rpm and then it feels like the turbo just stops. It doesnt as i can still here it but that pull from when the turbo first start at about 2000rpm is really strong and then it really does feel like it stops at 3000rpm.
Now i did first think that maybe one of the turbo pipes has torn or blown off but checked all the pipes and nothing totally fine, all look fine and strong. So then i decided to look towards air flow and maybe this has something to do woth it, check all the pipes and nothing hear. So this is where i need you guys to help out, i am now thinking that i should maybe clean my MAF sensor, check the air filter out and maybe clean it or replace it? Does anyone know of anything else i should do before i result in taking it to a garage to find out whats wrong with it? Also i read somewhere that to check if it is MAF sensor some people disconnect it and then run the car to see if the car runs better and the perfrmance is better, is this worth doing and it wont damage my engine?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

Rover 420 i.s

before changing parts willy-nilly, check all the relays in front of the battery. Remove each
relay in turn and check for corroded terminals. Then remove the terminal block from its mounting,
turn it over and check all the wires for corrosion. If any of them are corroded ,clean them up before putting the realy back in. The fuel pump relay is in there somewhere and prone to corrosion.

I have a theory that the problem is caused by an intermittant short on the fuel pump relay which prevents the low pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank delivering properly under load.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Disconnect the MAF and see what difference it makes..
(Post Link) post #4 of 22 Old 22-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Sounds like a plan to me, didnt think about that but i have only replaced the battery 1 month ago and i did this myself and all the terminals looked ok but i did just glance at them so will have a proper look tomorrow. Have you heard of that MAF sensor removel thing before? I was still thinking about cleaning it as when i was checking around that area it was all dirty so cleaned it up but do you think i should still clean it anyway?
Club Member
Membro Premio

It is a very sensitive piece of equiptment, cleaning it often kills it if not done properly. It shouldn't get dirty in the first place if the airbox & air filter is doing its job though.
(Post Link) post #6 of 22 Old 23-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
It is a very sensitive piece of equiptment, cleaning it often kills it if not done properly. It shouldn't get dirty in the first place if the airbox & air filter is doing its job though.
Well thats what i thought but there was quiet a bit of dirt Like i said i have checked all the air hose and i can see and cracks in them to suggest that dirt would be coming out over the MAF. I have bought some electric contact cleaner which is the rite stuff to clean it??????? Anyway i am going t check out the terminals and then if that doesnt make any difference then i will have a go at the MAF. If that doesnt work do you have any other ideas what to look at?
Club Member
Membro Premio

If cleaning the MAF doesn't work, I'd replace it. Have you tried disconnecting it yet?
(Post Link) post #8 of 22 Old 24-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
If cleaning the MAF doesn't work, I'd replace it. Have you tried disconnecting it yet?
I havent had chance yet but will try and have a go at doing it tomorrow and let you know how taht goes. Do you have any idea on how much a new one will cost to replace????
Club Member
Membro Premio

They aren't cheap, Shop4Parts has one on at £93.15 + VAT + delivery.. I might have a spare one at work, from a 156 2.4 we broke for spares. We normally do used ones for £35 inc VAT. But first you need to unplug your old one and see if it makes any difference to how it runs, that will tell you if you need a new one or not!
(Post Link) post #10 of 22 Old 25-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
They aren't cheap, Shop4Parts has one on at £93.15 + VAT + delivery.. I might have a spare one at work, from a 156 2.4 we broke for spares. We normally do used ones for £35 inc VAT. But first you need to unplug your old one and see if it makes any difference to how it runs, that will tell you if you need a new one or not!
Ok well i was going to take off the MAF sensor and try it out but then i decided to take the air filter out and actually see what it was like first only to find out that it is that easy, the screws on the air box are really rusty and nearly impossible to get off. I think i am going to have to get it on a ramp and get it off frame first and then take it out like that and try to get the filter out this way? NOT GOOD I will keep you informed once i have done it and let you know what difference it makes.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Yep, taking the air filter out is an absolute ball-ache. And those rusty screws mean the air filter probably hasn't been changed in a couple of years either.. I replaced the air filter box completely on my diesel with one of these:

BMC CARBON DYNAMIC ARIBOX | AIR FILTERS | AIR FILTER | car - bike - high performance - racing
(Post Link) post #12 of 22 Old 25-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yeah by the looks of things i agree it probably hasnt been changed but i have only owned the car for about a month now and had a bit of work to do on it first before i looked at stuff like this. Those airfilters look amazing, how much did it cost for yours and what was the difference like? Also did it make the car sound louder as i dont really want it to sound too loud and where does the actual filter sit, have you got any pics of it? I am taking my car on sat to my friends garage to get it up on the ramp and get the filter box out, i think first things first and get that out and at least replace the filter inside until i can get something like what you have put on yours? Have you had yours remaped? If so what sort of results are you running at and where did you get it done? I have found what i think is a good company called Angel Tuning and they have quoted me £275 anf this will include a health check to see that it is ok to be mapped, then custom map which will increase the bhp by 45-50bhp and increase the mpg by 14%-16% urban.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Angel Tuning supplied and fitted mine to my 156 2.4 JTD, and remapped it at the same time. This was years ago, I sold the car in February 2008. I think they are about £180 to buy on their own. The filter element is inside the carbon fibre casing, and it is washable so once a year or every 10k you need to remove it and clean it. The CDA sits in exactly the same place as the standard air filter.
(Post Link) post #14 of 22 Old 26-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Sounds good to me, i am now more intrested in buying one, so i guess my reserch into a good tuning company has paid off. I think that once i have sorted the air filter then i will get them to do a health check and if all ok then a remap.
Thanks
AO Member

County: Monmouthshire
need some help....

Hi,
I've bought a 156 Sportwagon, and I have to say I like it !! I see this post about the MAF making the engine 'choked'. followed the advice and it pulls like a 'good un' now. What would be the problem leaving the MAF unhooked???? Can anyone shed any light???

Secondly, I bought the car knowing there is a 3rd gear problem... It will go into 3rd, but as soon as there is a strain, it jumps back out...

I have bought another 156 for spares, so have no problems whipping the g/b out and slotting another in, but if it could be a selector problem, I'd try that first....

Any advice gratefully received, I like the look and style of this forum....
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi,
I've bought a 156 Sportwagon, and I have to say I like it !! I see this post about the MAF making the engine 'choked'. followed the advice and it pulls like a 'good un' now. What would be the problem leaving the MAF unhooked???? Can anyone shed any light???

Secondly, I bought the car knowing there is a 3rd gear problem... It will go into 3rd, but as soon as there is a strain, it jumps back out...

I have bought another 156 for spares, so have no problems whipping the g/b out and slotting another in, but if it could be a selector problem, I'd try that first....

Any advice gratefully received, I like the look and style of this forum....
Without the MAF plugged in the engine can only guess how much air its getting. Fit a ew one and it'll pull even better.
AO Member

Thanks, will try the one on the spare car first, love the smooth power of the motor, best I get the cam belt kit sorted pretty soon though !!
AO Member

That works - BIG THANKS FOR THE TIP....
Club Member
Membro Premio

So you now have a working MAF plugged in and it feels better than having it unplugged?
AO Member

If I only knew what MAF meant, I'd say the experience is sublime..... now all I need is a working 3rd gear. I holiday in France each summer, can't wait to drive the Alfa to the Pytenees, no Peyage for me!!! Thanks again...
Club Member
Membro Premio

"Mass Air Flow meter"
AO Member

Nice one....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , jtd , loss , power

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page