Engine Mangement Light on (before ignition) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 18-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Engine Mangement Light on (before ignition)

Hello, now this might be completely normal but, when I turn the key on my 147 TS Petrol engine the warning lights come on to tell me that they are all still working as they should. But, one of them stays on until the engine is running. The offending light is one which looks like a little engine or gear box. No warning messages/codes come up on the display so Iím wondering if this is normal.

I have read the manual and it says that the lights should come on for 4 seconds then go off. It also says if the lights come on when running/driving the car then there is a problem. But it says nothing about the light staying on prior to ignition.

Having only had the car 3 days I am a little jumpy about any noise rattle or warning light which should not be there. At the moment the car also has Ďsticky gearsí where the gear stick fails to self centre. Is this related to the warning light? Iím hoping that the Ďsticky gearsí simply need greasing up, but Iím worried in case running the car in its present state is damaging the engine.

Any help or reassurance would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 8 Old 18-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Anyone?
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

various Alfas

The little light that looks like an engine is the engine management light.It will come on when you turn the ignition on ,then it will go off 3-4 seconds after you have started the engine and everything is ok.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 18-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

ah cool, so my understanding of that is the engine management light is meant to stay on after all the others have gone off, only to go off itself when the engine has started.

Thanks for that. I’m finding this website and the people on it really helpful.
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

On the older ECUs, the corresponding light will go off prior to engine-start (assuming everything is ok).
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
What they said, and try not to worry too much? Drive and enjoy.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
I've just cured the sticky gear lever on my daughter's 147 by taking the spindle and its mounting off from on top of the gearbox. I 'eased' the plastic bushes in the mounting with very smooth wet and dry and thoroughly cleaned the spindle. I then drilled the mounting to take a grease nipple to hopefully prevent the same in the future. Once it was all greased up again I re-assembled the spindle and then refitted it on top of the gearbox. If you do a search you'll find many threads on this subject. The mounting and spindle assembly is available if you just want to swap over and not bother with the cleaning up part. Try shop4parts, it is there on their site but not obviously so, or wasn't when I looked.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 18-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Don’t get me wrong I am really enjoying the driving experience of the car. My last 3 cars (cars used in the loosest term of the word), have been small and French. They don’t even compare to an Alfa. I’m just keen to keep my car running good and resolve and issues quickly before they become a nightmare.

Cheers for all the posts about this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , ignition , light , mangement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page