big end big problem?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 16-02-10 Thread Starter

County: South Yorkshire
Hmmm big end big problem??

hi im new to this forum, bought my alfa gt 2.0 jts on the 8th feb from a dealer. when i got it home i checked the oil 3 or 4 times and the dipstick read to the full mark, then on the same week that sat so 5 days later all of a sudden low oil pressure came on the dash and the engine was making a thumpimg noise immediately so i pulled over left the engine for 20 min and checked the oil this time reading at the bottom dipstick line, so havin used about a litre of oil in about 400 miles. i have been told it sounds like the big end has gone so i contacted the dealer havin only owned the car for 5 days, now he is saying he will just have the big end fixed cheaply and im worried he will do a cheap quick repair. do you think the oil usage is excessive as he is saying if it was using too much oil it would have shown on the emissions last month. and would a full proper repair be a full engine rebuild? any help greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Zapadnohercegovacka Zupanija
Do you mean big end bearings? you have to fill the oil again and go to your mechanic to check compression and oil pressure. Compression and oil pressure will tell you alot of your engine condition...
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 16-02-10 Thread Starter

not sure just got told the big end had gone because of the knocking?. i have filled the oil back up to near top and started the engine and its still reading low compression on the dash and knocking, plus got told not to drive it as this could b;ow it altogether.
AO Member

County: Zapadnohercegovacka Zupanija
well if the big end has gone then you have to take it apart and check crankshaft, conrods, main bearings etc. since it is an TS motor should not be so difficult.You have couple of rebuild threads here, just search for them and let us know what was the problem with TS
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Take it back and ask for you money back...
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 TS

Take it back

and as for excessive oil usage showing up on thee emmissions that is b*****ks if the oil was cleanly burnt then it would still have passed.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Agree with Biffa. Take it back and ask for your money back.

If the dealer fixes it on the cheap it will go again, and probably just after the warranty has run out.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Its no different to a toaster, if they give you trouble get trading standards involved... Oh and leave a hidden note inside for the new owner as i'm sure it will be back on the forecourt ASAP...
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
It's a big job if the cank is marked.

If done right, its a big job.

A few things I've learned while trying to get mine sort out. The bits that have come off the crank, are now everywhere in the engine. Causeing damage to every rotating part. So far I've spent R6500 on getting the bottom end sorted. I still need to get new pumps, head bolts, head gasket set and a list of other parts as long as my arm. However, when I'm done my hope it that the engine will be 100% and run just right for a long time to come.

Keithy says: "I think you put too much sugar on your cornflakes! "
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 20-02-10 Thread Starter

thanks guys for your advice the car is currently having a replacement engine fitted!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
big , end , problem

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page