Scratched cylinder liner V6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 30-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Zapadnohercegovacka Zupanija
Scratched cylinder liner V6

I,m still thinking what could couse this on cylinder liner??? what are consequences of this scratch?

The picture is not perfect but as I go with my nail trought scratch I can tell it is quite big..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2689.jpg (80.6 KB, 53 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Hi Electroboy,
Without very close examination it is difficult to say. However I am prepared to have a guess..... Maybe indication of piston starting to "pick up". I say that because of my experience of Perkins 6354.2 diesel engines as fitted to fleet of Dodge trucks that I maintained when I worked for Carlsberg 20yrs ago. Vehicle developed coolant leak away from base, driver got her home after taking pressure cap off header tank but it did make some unpleasant noises resulting in the cyl head coming off for a good look around. I found deep(ish) vertical scoring
of two cylinders. Result? Strip down and rebuild with new liners, rings etc.

I wish you well..

Let me know how you get on.. via pm
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Medio

County: Bratislavsky
I am confused that the scratch goes up to the lip of the liner. So it probably wasn’t anything related to piston rings. Their movement stops about 1 cm from the top and about 4-5 cm from the bottom of the liner. I guess that something must have been stuck between the top of the piston itself and the liner. Thats the bottom of the liner right? The silver part is actually the not worn part where the piston and its rings dont even come...

I have seen similar damage caused by piston removal as well. If you are not careful and slide up the piston-conrod assembly off the crank, the conrod can scratch the liner going up. Seems like this on the first look.

147GTA,Grigio Metallico,Imola leather,3.75l conversion,ported heads,F575 TB,Carbon plenum,Stainless manifolds,EQ pipes,Supersprint silenced cat back,18" GT multispokes,KW V3,Galfer 6pot 355mm,Brembo sport rear

147 1.6TS, Nerro,Beige Interior,Galfer Extreme Brake kit,2,0TS intake manifold,Custom ex. manifold,200CPI cat,Supersprint silenced center + OO backbox,GTA spoiler,GTA side skirts,GTA headlights,Blaupunkt LA MP74 + Focal + MacAudio + Dynamat + HERZ subwoofer
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 31-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Zapadnohercegovacka Zupanija
yes that is bottom of the liner, also think that rings could not couse this
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Gudgeon pin shifted location from the small end bushing? Dunno' really.:
AO Member

Like I said, without closer examination (as in being there to physically examine etc) it is only guess work..... I wish you well and hope that you get that V6 back to good health.
AO Platinum Member

I'm with ZF... I think the gudgeon pin could have shifted sideways so you have the "double" tramlines where the edges of the pin have grazed the curve of the liner. You could have a broken or missing circlip to allow it to move like that... though don't dismantle the engine on my say-so .. the picture isn't conclusive by any means.

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cylinder , liner , scratched

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page