Intermittent Non Start - 156 2.4JTD 10v - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 18-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Member car:

147 JTD

Idea Intermittent Non Start - 156 2.4JTD 10v

Hi guys!!!

Now then... My wife had the car about 2 weeks ago and ran it VERY low on juice........

Since then it has occasionally not been starting. It turns over like hell, but does not fire. It sounds like fuel starvation, but if left for 10-15 minutes, it then fires first time.

I have used some diesel additive to clean the fuel lines, so am wondering two things as it still does not start now and again:

1. Could it be some residue or crap floating about in the fuel system due to being run low and if so, will a new fuel filter sort it?
2. Could it be a coincidence and there be something else causing it, ie, could it be the immobiliser? where does this isolate the ignition circuit?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Reedy

Last edited by Reedy147; 21-01-10 at 12:23.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cumbria

Member car:

alfa 156 jtd

exact same as mine mate,my misses ran ours low and im having a nightmare with it though ive tried the fuel filter and its still doesnt start
AO Gold Member

County: Kent
Same with mine. Goes in to my indie tommorow so will let you know if he finds anything.
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

147 JTD16M

I had a similar problem with a car that wouldn't start well after it had been run very low and it was caused by water in the fuel tank. Admittedly it was a petrol/carburettor car - so a very long time ago - and I don't know if a diesel would be affected the same way. I think the water prevented the engine from firing either by replacing fuel in the fuel/air mixture or by cooling it, you could also have had the problem of the water freezing given the weather conditions lately which wouldn't help!!!
I drove for about 10 days to empty the tank and there was a slight improvement, probably as water got passed through the engine but when I drained out the last gallon half of it was water. I had to blow out the fuel line and empty the carburettor too, I doubt it's as easy on a modern diesel.
Hope the idea helps.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 19-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD

Cheers for your replies guys... i will be interested to see what the Indie say's it is... The cold can't have anything to do with it as it will start in -7, and then once warm it won't start when stopped for a few minutes, then another time it will!!! it is so annoying!!!
AO Gold Member

Yeah mines the same, very random. So far it has failed when very cold, warm, and cool!! My indie's first guess is fuel filter which gets changed on the service anyway. I do know that once the filter has been changed, it needs sorting to ensure starting (is it priming? not sure, never done it) Any way, I am hopeful he will sort it out!!
AO Member

I had a similar problem with my 2.4JTD 10V after being left for sometime (about 3 months) with a very low fuel tank level.

Turned out to be the Fuel Pump Relay, although the actual relay position was mixed with the Air Con Relay!

Also don't forget to check the connections under the relay. Connections have been known to work loose when replacing the air filter.
AO Gold Member

Nothing logged as a fault. Have changed the fuel filter as part of the service and changed the crank sensor as a precaution. Having read the above post, I am going to unplug the relays as they are so easy to get to, and clean the connections. I will let you know if the problem persists.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 21-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch166 View Post
Nothing logged as a fault. Have changed the fuel filter as part of the service and changed the crank sensor as a precaution. Having read the above post, I am going to unplug the relays as they are so easy to get to, and clean the connections. I will let you know if the problem persists.
I think that for what it costs, I will get the fuel filter done anyway...

Cheers for help so far and will keep ya posted!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
10v , 156 , 24jtd , intermittent , start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page