Boring out a 2.0TS to a 2.2TS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 04-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: New South Wales
Boring out a 2.0TS to a 2.2TS

I came across a website that said they offered :
■Twin Spark 16 valve 1.6/1.8/2.0 (for Alfa 145,146,1467,156,166,GTV & Spider) increased from1970cc to 2.2 litres. Big bore engine conversions to 2.2 litres using 86mm pistons

Can anyone tell me if this is worth it and if so what would the benefit or loss be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

You'll get some more bhp... but mostly more torques. Potentially some vibration.. a bit more fuel consumption...

It's also a good sprinboard for getting more juice through the system.. a bigger bore obviously gives you more room to fit bigger valves later on.

The only thing is to check out the weight of the pistons vs the OE gear... more weight whizzing up and down at the end of your con-rods 6000 times a minute is going to put more strain on the con-rods, little end bearings and also the crank.

If the firm replaces the bearings and knows what the weight of the pistons is, then that's a good sign. Standard rods will probably take it, so no need to swap those just yet.

But as always... why do you want to do it? If you have knacked bores that need re-boring then may as well go 2.2.. if you just wants more shove, then there may be cheaper ways to get the speed.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

There is a guy on here that has a 156 2.0 Twinny that he has bored out to a 2.2 and done all other amount of spangly work. Cant for the life of me remember his name though.
What i can remember, its a red 156, i think he's up in the Leeds ish area, short grey hair, husky voice and goes abroad a bit lol
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

Sounds like a story from someone who was langers at the time of meeting this guy!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

... ... ... i didnt understand that lol but i have seen the car, it sounds lush! VERY throaty. It also absolutly thrashed an old scooby aswell when i seen it lol
AO Member

Doed anyone know what is the cost of such a conversion and also what the power figures are?
Damien_C

If your going to bore an engine out. You may aswell do headwork, put a set of mental cams in and fully forge the internals and have a new fuel system and then get the most outta the bigger pistons and higher CR ratio.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_C View Post
If your going to bore an engine out. You may aswell do headwork, put a set of mental cams in and fully forge the internals and have a new fuel system and then get the most outta the bigger pistons and higher CR ratio.
and if you go to that expense you would save a lot of cash by just buying a better car!!
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Two words: Don't Bother.
Performance gains would not justify the (considerable) cost, increased fuel consumption and likely decreased reliability. As David C said, just put the money towards buying a better car.
Damien_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
and if you go to that expense you would save a lot of cash by just buying a better car!!
I know, sure you'd be mad unless you 1 had the money and where using it for competition or something similar.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
20ts , 22ts , boring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page