Dead JTD? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 02-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

A thirsty 147

Help Dead JTD?

This new year really started bad for my wheels. Last night someone threw a bottle on my 147s bonnet and now my Stilo JTD looks blown...

Actually, Stilo is a trade-in car, got it last month and was intended for sale.

Last night, I started it and made a few miles throught the town. It was acting normaly, pulled well, sound was OK, too. When I was looking to park in, I noticed a hesitation when I press the throtle. Simptoms:

- it idles OK, no stalling
- it wont rev, when I press the throtle, it revs very slowly up to 2-2.5k rpm
- lots of smoke from the exhaust, it was dark, cant tell the colour, but also smell of burnt oil
- no engine check warning light, or any kind of warning on the dash
- I tried it an hour ago again, it cold-starts perfectly, and then the same

As it was for sale, I havent done any service on it, but this is what I know:

- oil was very old, although the board-comp told different - probably someone messing with the mileage
- it was running on reserve, Range-To-Empty was cca. 80 km (50 miles)
- earlier this month I had a battery issue on it, a few times I got a message on board "Oil Level Sensor Failure", but that went off as soon as I changed the battery. I havent really cared about it, as it was also showing "Airbag Failure", "ABS Failure". etc. I thought it was just a dead battery messing with the electronics.

So, I am really not good with JTDs, this is what comes through my head:

- blown head gasket (actually I was warned on this by my mechanic as a possibility if dont change that ****ty oil)
- blown turbo
- having trouble to pump the fuel, as it is on its last drops (I had this problem on VW Golf diesel)

Guys, I would really appreciate some help, as there is no warning light on, I have a drop of hope that it is something rather cheap and easy to fix. If not, I will be looking at quite a loss on this Stilo.

Its a Stilo JTD 115bhp from 2002. Done 100.000 miles. (as far as I know, now it seems more)

"For a smart man, any war is lost as soon as it starts..."

petrolheadview.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
hello mate, my stilo cant die

the maf is on the same circuit as the abs, etc so that goes faulty and can give esr, abs etc warnings. its a pain, did it on my 2.4 all the time.

they also have a very common habbit of blocking the egr valve, very common.

then there is the lower intercooler pipe, that fouls an earth mount, just like the 147 and 156, and splits the pipe.

the air intake also splits easily between the intake and the maf.

no warning light id guess at the maf or egr. there the most common. try a new maf if you got one knocking about, or unplug and see if it pulls like a train again, but it wont idle

also the airbag warning on these is very common, usually the plug underneath the seats. the contacts get dodgy. they did a wiring fix on these in 2003 when the phase 2's came out

At the big scrapyard in the sky:
Mk2 Punto Active Sport 1.2 8vStilo Schumacher GP147 1.6 TS LussoMk1 Punto Sporting 1.2 16v156 1.8 TS Lusso

On the 8th day God created BMW, on the 9th day, he traded it in for an Alfa Romeo :evillaugh:

(Post Link) post #3 of 14 Old 02-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

A thirsty 147

Thanks alfa-red, I know for sure that your Stilo is well preserved in your heart

I will have a go with some of these today, let you know how it went. I am just hoping to avoid blown head gasket and turbine.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

same symptoms on my GT -it looked really serious, but was just a broken MAF.

Sorry to hear about the bottle incident!
(Post Link) post #5 of 14 Old 02-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

A thirsty 147

Ok, now - I tried to start it again an hour ago - it started ok, idled for a few seconds and then just stalled. Cant start it anymore. Actually, I was thinking - maybe it just ran out of fuel (Range-To-Empty was only 50 miles, and we all know how trip comps can be lousy). I checked its oil, seems to be good, but as it is really old, cant be sure of the reading. I also, in the moment of stalling, got the message "Low Oil Pressure". So, can it be dry maybe?

Im pretty worried now - nothing is open now - I was thinking on Monday of bying some oil and some fuel and try it then. What do you reckon, Alfa-Red?

And to add to my cars-bad-luck - I accidentally dropped a cigarette and burnt through my seat in 147
rhett71

How cold is it there? in England there used to be winter and summer diesel. There is more wax in summer diesel and this used to cause fuel pump problems here. Your Stilo has a fuel heater on the fuel filter, could it be this had stopped working? You get the "oil pressure warning" because the engine is still expecting to be running when it cuts out developing no oil pressure. It shouldn't be an oil problem, unless it's really old and then you're looking at real problems like I had in a peugeot 307, I just topped the oil up, over about 4 years untill it threw a conrod through the block!!

(Post Link) post #7 of 14 Old 02-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

A thirsty 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett71 View Post
How cold is it there? in England there used to be winter and summer diesel. There is more wax in summer diesel and this used to cause fuel pump problems here. Your Stilo has a fuel heater on the fuel filter, could it be this had stopped working? You get the "oil pressure warning" because the engine is still expecting to be running when it cuts out developing no oil pressure. It shouldn't be an oil problem, unless it's really old and then you're looking at real problems like I had in a peugeot 307, I just topped the oil up, over about 4 years untill it threw a conrod through the block!!
Definitely not the weather issue. Today its around 2-3 degrees Celsius, and I was driving it earlier this month with no problems at -10 or so.

I think that oil warning is no issue too, as it always shows that when stalls... I just mentioned it maybe it helps.

Best case, just ran out of fuel, worst case, some oil-gasket problem... I am worried cause it has some weird smell and a bit of blue smoke ---- cant ignore the gasket failure.
rhett71

Can you get someone to do a compression test? Blue smoke usually means you're burning oil, could be valve stems, probably just as dear as head gasket to fix though? I hope it's just a fuel problem, can you see the hoses swelll when you switch it on, could be fuel pump problem?

AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

Not an Alfa :-(

Can I suggest checking the turbo hoses, as I had a Boost hose from the intercooler blow on my 156 JTD 140, and that caused a serious loss in performance, iratic idle, and made the car smoke very badly. It did still run, but was a nightmare to drive, as it would cut out every time you slowed down to a stop, unless you managed to keep the revs up.
Hope this is of some help.
rhett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaholic156 View Post
Can I suggest checking the turbo hoses, as I had a Boost hose from the intercooler blow on my 156 JTD 140, and that caused a serious loss in performance, iratic idle, and made the car smoke very badly. It did still run, but was a nightmare to drive, as it would cut out every time you slowed down to a stop, unless you managed to keep the revs up.
Hope this is of some help.
Forgot about this, certainly cheaper than internal components!! If this happens you get black smoke due to the unburnt diesel caused by ecu pumping more fuel than air getting to the engine. I had this also but the engine never stopped. Then I had an EGR failure, and again very slow for revs to build up to 2500 had to keep the turbo buzzing to pull away without being rear-ended, but didn't stall. I hope its one of the cheaper options!!!

(Post Link) post #11 of 14 Old 02-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

A thirsty 147

Thank you all for help, will keep you informed. I am waiting a friend to stop by and lend me his canister to put some fuel in it. If that doesnt halp, it is probably the head gasket, just seems so logical. But, we will see.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubber View Post
Ok, now - I tried to start it again an hour ago - it started ok, idled for a few seconds and then just stalled. Cant start it anymore. Actually, I was thinking - maybe it just ran out of fuel (Range-To-Empty was only 50 miles, and we all know how trip comps can be lousy). I checked its oil, seems to be good, but as it is really old, cant be sure of the reading. I also, in the moment of stalling, got the message "Low Oil Pressure". So, can it be dry maybe?

Im pretty worried now - nothing is open now - I was thinking on Monday of bying some oil and some fuel and try it then. What do you reckon, Alfa-Red?

And to add to my cars-bad-luck - I accidentally dropped a cigarette and burnt through my seat in 147
dont worry about the low pressure warning, you checked it and the level is ok. the warning comes because, when you stall, it senses the low pressure because the engine has stopped, rather than the stall.

could be something as simple as no or low fuel. the trip is very inaccurate. mine didnt like being low. even if there was enough in it to run, if it was already going, but maybe not enough to allow it to start. mine was like that.

has it come up with "loose connection" warning yet?

is there any white gunk in the oil filler cap?
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 02-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

A thirsty 147

actually, "Loose connection" came up few weeks ago, when the battery was dead, but when I used the cables to start it, never again. Now, there is no "Loose connection". Didnt check for the white gunk,

What does the "Loose Connection" stands for?
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubber View Post
actually, "Loose connection" came up few weeks ago, when the battery was dead, but when I used the cables to start it, never again. Now, there is no "Loose connection". Didnt check for the white gunk,

What does the "Loose Connection" stands for?
could be anything from the "infamous" d4 connector, battery or the crank and cam sensors. it needs the fault codes reading really, but we can try a few things before that.

no white gunk and no loss of coolant, then your gasket is ok. a gasket going on the olf jtd is pretty rare. its a solid unit.

so its either ([my shortlist]short of a major electrical failure, also rare on the stilo)

maf
stuck egr valve
crank sensor
cam sensor
D4 being silly (take apart and spray with contact cleaner)

i still think its something really simple, still searching

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
dead , jtd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page