Help please! My 2.4 JTD won't start. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 23-12-09 Thread Starter

Crazed Help please! My 2.4 JTD won't start.

I have owned a 2001 156 2.4 JTD Sportwagon for the last 18 months, and whilst various bits of trim have fallen off, and (non-essential) electrics have packed up, it has never failed to start or given any sign that it wouldn't... She has always got me/my better half to where we have needed to go in usual Alfa style.

After a couple of days of sitting on the drive whilst temperatures dropped and snow fell (not sure if the sub zero temperatures are relevant or not), it failed to start this morning.

The weather report said it had got down to -4 Deg, but everything appeared OK when I got in... normal lights came on on the dash, engine turned over with appropriate gusto, but didn't fire once. Tried again at lunch when temperatures had risen to above zero, but no joy then or again after work.

My initial thoughts were along the lines glow plugs not getting power, or fuel issues, but I couldn't see any obvious place to poke a meter to see if there was power, or ways to check for fuel pressure.

Can anyone please give direction on a pragmatic way to isolate the problem?

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

With enough cranking, it will eventually fire up - even without glow plugs, so your problem may lie elsewhere, perhaps with your fuel cut off switch or too much water in the diesel mixed with a bit of waxing.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 24-12-09 Thread Starter

Many thanks CJ.

The cut off switch I can check - any ideas on waxing.... other than waiting for summer!
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 24-12-09 Thread Starter

Took off the air intake pipe and with a little 'Easy start' she fired straight away and carried on running.....

Rules out fuel cut off switch I guess, but I'm basically none the wiser! Will have to see if I have issues next time from starting from cold, and keep a can of Easy Start and a 7mm socket in the car.

Merry Christmas.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
jtd , start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page