My 2.0 TS rebuild - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 47 Old 13-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
My 2.0 TS rebuild

After posting up the noise my engine was making (https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engin...ing-noise.html), I have decided to take her off the road and investigate.

I have started at the top.
Rocker cover and belt covers off. Timing checked and nothing looks out of place.
Belts off and Cams removed.

All lifters have risen and turn freely, valves ok or should I continue with the plan to remove the head?

Next step I was planning is to drop the sump to check the shells/journals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kent
I would inspect the lobes on the cams. I would take off the lifters and check all the valves have indeed shut. I would be tempted to drop the sump to inspect the big ends as although replacing them is a pain of a job (not so much the shells themselves, more the sump), it's reletively inexpensive (£43 a set plus a fiver for sealent) If you get to this stage and still haven't found a definite fault, I would then spend the money and change the lifters

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALFA-ROMEO-HYD...item20ad35f3e3

At this stage, with what you have said so far, I would leave the head in place.

edit: TBH, I would probably initially miss out the big end inspection. I say this as in my humble opinion the noise doesn't sound like bottom end. i say this with reservation as on the origional thread, people with far greater knowledge than me have said big ends, but to me, I have heard a big end failure, and this doesn't sound like it. It really sounds like a top end noise.

81 'Sud 1.5 Super - '88 33 1.7 Green Cloverleaf -'92 164 2.0 Twinnie - '94 164 2.0 Twinnie -'99 166 2.5 V6 Sportronic -'00 166 2.5 V6 Manual-'03 156 2.4 JTD Veloce-'97 GTV 2.0 Twinspark

AROC 916 Registrar http://www.aroc-uk.com/ Gtv Rebuild Project Thread https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...w-project.html

Last edited by Mitch916; 13-12-09 at 13:44.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
As Mitch166 says have a look at the cam lobes, look very closely and you may see where the case hardening has worn away (particularly the inlets to no. 2 cylinder from the left). Sounds very much like a Citroen GS I had many years ago which had worn lobes. If you have the cams off you may as well do the hydraulic lifters and the variator. Big-ends would be much more of a hard knocking sound.
(Post Link) post #4 of 47 Old 13-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch166 View Post
I would inspect the lobes on the cams. I would take off the lifters and check all the valves have indeed shut.
What am I looking for on the lobes? Chips, markings?
How do you tell that the valves are fully shut from the top?

This is my first engine rebuild attempt so lots of learning.

thanks
AO Gold Member

The lobes are case hardened so they look shiney, but this is only a thin layer. If it gets damaged, the metal underneath is very soft and wears very quickly. You should notice the wear if there is any, I mean it would really stand out.

When the cam lobe hits the follower, the inside of the follower pushes down on the end of the valve, compressing the spring and opening the valve. If the valve hits the piston, it bends and therefore cannot reclose. If this has happened, the valve stem will be lower and the spring still compressed. You wont see if the valve has only slightly bent though. 8 of mine only showed when I put them in a lathe.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Mine sounded top endish and well i'm nearly back on the road after a full rebuild...
From my opinion i would wip the sump off and check the bigends is a free check...

the are images for what you are looking for on this thread...
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...t-70-m4-3.html
(Post Link) post #7 of 47 Old 10-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

OK I finally got around to getting the sump off, i am already not looking forward to putting it back on.

I found these in the sump, an ideas?

Photo0227.jpg

Photo0228.jpg

but looking up the bores I found this in number 1

Photo0224.jpg

and this is the shell

Photo0226.jpg

So next stage head off, get a conrod and new set of shells.

strange but I am enjoying this and really happy i have found something.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Forgive me, as i'm looking at this thread on a mobile but is that a bent conrod I see?
AO Member

Member car:

N.Technology 156

The chances are the crank is going to need a grind at least. Mike
AO Silver Member

I agree at minimum a crank grind and also a new conrod...
The real question is how it bent in the firstplace?
(Post Link) post #11 of 47 Old 11-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa View Post
The real question is how it bent in the firstplace?
I think I can safely put that down to the small lake I drove through until it conked out.

I was hoping to avoid a grind of the crank and new shells and a conrod would do the job.
AO Silver Member

Having said that after taking a closer look at the bearing and now knowing the history of the failed bearing might be worth like you say a new conrod and some shells and you might of gotten away with it...
(Post Link) post #13 of 47 Old 16-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

replacement conrod arrived this morning. I will start taking the head off tomorrow.
AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

Gt JTD

where did you get your con rod from as i think i need one for my rebuild.
(Post Link) post #15 of 47 Old 17-01-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Where is the best place to seperate the inlet side to lift the head? Having a quick look this morning I was thinking the rubbers just behind the fuel rail.

Rocker cover, coils, belts, cams already off.
So far i have disconnected the coolant hoses.
The exhaust was already off the manifold from dropping the sump.
Is the aircon unit attached to the head anywhere?
Looking for the easist route

Quote:
Originally Posted by addamski1980 View Post
Autolusso, our friendly co-forumers. I hear you sometimes get sweets included with your part, i was not luck this time.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgee View Post
Autolusso, our friendly co-forumers. I hear you sometimes get sweets included with your part, i was not luck this time.
Sorry mate, it was Laurence that sent the conrod out this week so don't blame me

Next time you order something, just let me know and I will put in a double dose of sweets
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgee View Post
Where is the best place to seperate the inlet side to lift the head? Having a quick look this morning I was thinking the rubbers just behind the fuel rail.
I did mine at the rubbers. Still means having to undo 2 tricky bolts though. One I had to lay on my back using 3 extensions on my ratchet with a swivel head on the end!! I got the sucker though!!

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...w-project.html
AO Silver Member

Member car:

145 Cloverleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by addamski1980 View Post
Iv got a couple in my shed with the pistons still attached. Do you want one? drop me a pm on the 145 forum (more space on pms there)
AO Member

sounds like your doing amazingly well, I wouldn't buy new lifters myself, mine were siezed solid on a 2.0TS if you have a vice give them a good sharp clout on the flat of the vice (holding the lifter flat against your palm. The guts will come out, theyre really simple to reassemble, give them a good clean and put brand new oil in them, they will be free as a bird and good as new. I took a lot of time cleaning the head, having it skimmed lapping in the valves, grinding the back face of valves and weighing them ,exhaust ports all and removing all the crud. it goes like a rocket. I didn't bother with the balance belt either, ist just another thing to go wrong and you can notice a slight performane improvement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01313.jpg (101.5 KB, 85 views)
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaspider View Post
I didn't bother with the balance belt either, ist just another thing to go wrong and you can notice a slight performane improvement
Good work mate. Do you notice any increased vibration without the balance belt?
AO Member

I dont thrash it within an inch of its life, theres no point the power starts to die off again, but no I cant tell the difference. What I would say is if your up for camblet change time get a pair of scissors and cut it out and try it for a 1000miles, if you can live with it dont bother with all the extra parts and labour expense. I know this sounds terribly old fashioned but cars managed for years without them.
Some people take the balance shafts out, if you leave them in they WILL NOT crash into anything, I cranked the engine over manually on the crank and turned them by hand at the sime time to check. Its been running like this for 2 years now.
From a performance point of view it is just instantly more willing as soon as you gun it, not noticiable from a start but definitely in gear. From a longevity point of view I think the car overall will be goosed before this has any affect. Ours has already done 105K and it is great
(Post Link) post #22 of 47 Old 07-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Finally got around to taking the head off this morning.

Good news - No sign of valve damage. All sitting flush and no contact with the pistons.

Bad news - I think I have found where these (pic top left) came from the bore lining (pic top right), would a straight conrod allow the piston to reach this part of the bore?

probably caused by this (bottom left pic) rough markings on piston

So do I need a new piston?
I need new piston rings for a start as the bottom one with the spring has a bit missing.

And this is what the conrod looked like (bottom right pic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0228.jpg (20.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0238.jpg (43.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0241.jpg (51.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0243.jpg (41.6 KB, 44 views)
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaspider View Post
sounds like your doing amazingly well, I wouldn't buy new lifters myself, mine were siezed solid on a 2.0TS if you have a vice give them a good sharp clout on the flat of the vice (holding the lifter flat against your palm. The guts will come out, theyre really simple to reassemble, give them a good clean and put brand new oil in them, they will be free as a bird and good as new. I took a lot of time cleaning the head, having it skimmed lapping in the valves, grinding the back face of valves and weighing them ,exhaust ports all and removing all the crud. it goes like a rocket. I didn't bother with the balance belt either, ist just another thing to go wrong and you can notice a slight performane improvement
by 'eck gary you must have been up late polishing your head

re balancer shafts - my old integrale (basically same engine layout) had the balancer shaft belt cut to get rid. no real noticable vibration increase but one less thing to go pop - the balancer belt would take teh cam belt out if it popped! the works rally cars had the shafts removed - but very expensive in comparison to just removing belt. they do rotate slightly but no big deal

PS you need to change your profile - as many alfas as me now!

marc
AO Silver Member

if you look at the very first image of the bent rod you can see the chipped bore...
(Post Link) post #25 of 47 Old 27-02-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Annoyed with myself. Finally got back to the garage to start piecing the engine back together.

First job was to connect the conrod to the piston. Got one of the cir-clips in after a little time but then managed to lose the other when it pinged out just as thought it was in.

I had a quick look where I thought it bounced off to but no joy. Guessing I should be able to pick up a cir-clip locally without having to relying on Alfa dealers.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
rebuild

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page