how do you work a TDC & Dial gauge - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 12-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
how do you work a TDC & Dial gauge

How do you work a TDC & Dial gauge?

What should the gauge be reading when you attach it to the TDC?

I am working on a CF1 2.0 TS
I have removed the very first spark plug (closest to the cambelt) ready to insert the TDC
Now I am guess when I rotate the crank the probe will go up the stick increasing pressure on the gauge reading then fall away once it past TDC

is this correct?

The cam locks fit in place when i use a screw driver to check the piston is at the top but i guess this could lead to being a tooth out?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Yep, you've pretty much got it. The gauge might have a couple of rotating marks on its face that will help you find the point where it stops rising and begins to fall (align one with the needle when you find TCD). Its also useful for making sure that the crank hasn't turned during the fitting/tightening of the belt as well.

Don't worry too much if the blocks don't fit correctly at TDC with the old belt on. It probably means the timing was slightly out to begin with...
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Also when you think you have found TDC with the dial gauge temporarily refit the lower cambelt cover and the auxilary belt pulley. There is a notch on the pulley that should line up with the notch on the cover.
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

Various alfa's

the dial gauge should have a smaller gauge inside the large dial, this is for 'finer accuracy' as your at TDC, to find the exact point.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerItalia View Post
the dial gauge should have a smaller gauge inside the large dial, this is for 'finer accuracy' as your at TDC, to find the exact point.
Both mine have the fine gauge outside the coarse dial. So does the one on the tensometer at work. Therefore have a play with the one you have to see which of the alternative arrangements it conforms to.

The gauge has a knurled knob which tightens down onto an adjustable ring. Loosen the knob and rotate the dial to line the needle up with zero and tighten the knob (gently) check that on maximum movement of the needle it still lines up with zero. Proceed with the rest of the belt changing.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
dial , gauge , tdc , work

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page