T.Spark's don't like the cold? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 05-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Conwy
T.Spark's don't like the cold?

As above really had a couple of really cold night recently and i have found when i have defrosted the spider when i start it up the engine drops below idle to the point of nearly cutting out lasts's for about a second or so then it's fine only happens on very cold nights like i say

Has anyone else found this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

My car is fine after a really cold night...No problems idleing etc.

TBH if the revs are only dropping for one second I really wouldnt worry about it.
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Same here, Mine does that. I thought it was the battery but fitting a higher powered one made no difference. It didn't do that last year but i suspect it is directly related to the health of the variator.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
mines fine, appart from being stood still for a week, and the battery being a bit flat, it was fine, idled perfectly
AO Member

County: Zagreb
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFCAlfa View Post
As above really had a couple of really cold night recently and i have found when i have defrosted the spider when i start it up the engine drops below idle to the point of nearly cutting out lasts's for about a second or so then it's fine only happens on very cold nights like i say

Has anyone else found this?
I had a similar problem, turned out it was idle speed actuator. The car started normal and then revs drop to 200-300 for a few seconds... Could also be a temperature sensor on the thermostat. Do you have problems with idle when engine is warm?
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 10-12-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Conwy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davor View Post
I had a similar problem, turned out it was idle speed actuator. The car started normal and then revs drop to 200-300 for a few seconds... Could also be a temperature sensor on the thermostat. Do you have problems with idle when engine is warm?
Cheers for all replies

No prob with engine idle when warm only when really cold when i say cold i mean when ice forms other than that sweet as it's a strange one
AO Member

you can take off the idle control valve and give it a clean, mine was full of gloop and got muck in it after a head gasket change, cleaned it refitted it, never happened again - best thing takes 10 minutes & cost nought
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaspider View Post
you can take off the idle control valve and give it a clean, mine was full of gloop and got muck in it after a head gasket change, cleaned it refitted it, never happened again - best thing takes 10 minutes & cost nought
you can also 'tweek' the idle control valve by turning it a fraction in its mount to increase the tickover level. i used this on a car with a lightweight flywheel fitted where the bosch system couldnt cope with the rapid deceleration and would stall unless you manage to heal and toe to catch the revs.

carb cleaner or a bit of petrol cleans them a treat - carbon buld up justs make them stick a bit. works on all bosch ICV's

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cold , tspark

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page