Help Me 156,2.0ts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork
Help Me 156,2.0ts

Hi,i have a 156,2.0ts,year 2000.
It was running very poor last week,i checked the plugs and found that one of the plugs to the number 1 cylinder[nearest to the timing belt cover]was fouled up and black,the other plug was clean,in this cylinder.I changed the plugs and have found that this problem is still there,i mean that the new plug in no 1 cylinder is starting to get fouled up also.The car is running a lot better,but stills seems not to have a lot of power at higher speeds.The rev counter is also running at 1300rpm when idleing,i am going to disconnect negative battery lead and follow thread on resseting throttle,any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Sounds like a failing coil pack, have you check the other plug that that coil is connected to?
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 30-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork
Yes checked other plug and that is fine.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
OK to reset the throttle you don't NOT have to disconnect the battery .. that's to clear the ECU self-learn parameters.

To reset the throttle, turn on the ignition but don't start the engine or touch the throttle pedal. After 90 secs, turn it off and leave for 90 secs. Now start the engine but again DON'T use the throttle. After a few minutes the idle speed should drop.

The TS also has an "oil separator valve" in the 2nd breather from crankcase to inlet manifold and this can get stuck open. This increases the idle speed. There's a write-up on my problems on my greenserpent website ... link below in signature.

The throttle body may also be gummed up ... but take care if you do decide to clean it (carb cleaner!) as it is easy to break the electronics on the throttle body that handles the butterfly. Personally I'd take the throttle off the car and remove the electronics, etc if you can ... then squirt away to your heart's content.

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , 20ts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page