Could the death of an Engine Big End Failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 07-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Could the death of an Engine Big End Failure

I'm currently rebuilding my JTS engine and todays task was to check the Oil pump and pickup for damage.

The good news there is no damage in either, but what i have come to realise the swarf from a failed bearing goes everywhere, so if your considering a DIY engine rebuild you will need to be cleaning everything it, took me nearly 4hrs to clean the oil pump, oil cooler, pickup and inlet maifold...

When cleaning the inlet manifold the plundger had actually jammed up with swarf...

I guess what i'm saying is unless your going to strip everything clean it like i am your going to kill your engine and it might happen quicker than you think...

If i remember the next thing i clean i will photograph for you to see how much swarf there can be...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

I was cleaning a post-BEF sump from a TS out today. My tip would be to remove the bottom of that rear section of sump and clean it out completely. Even after washing it out with petrol, it was full of a sticky, plasticy, metallic substance!
Unregistered

County: Wiltshire
You wont need to, I'm going to open up an inlet manifold from an engine that threw a #3 rod, the piston ring has already fallen out of it as I removed it and atm it sounds like a babies rattle.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 08-11-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
I feel unless you strip and clean the lot you only extending the life of the engine shortly, if you strip the lot and clean everything i recon that engine is good for alot longer, i was so suprised as to where the swarf gets to i mean the main bearing looked like there was glitter in the oil way and welded on the journals...
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Yeah, tell me about it. I too am busy with a BEF rebuild, on a 2.0 TS

We pulled the engine on Saturday. The metal fragments have chewed up everything and the swarf is in everywhere. I'm going to be cleaning forever.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
big , death , end , engine , failure

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page