Timing Belt Failure. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 27-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork
Timing Belt Failure.

I've been reading posts regarding variators and the suggestion that a noisy one wont do any harm. My last 166 developed a noise in the engine, on inspection I discovered 14 teeth stripped off the cam belt, I took it to my local mechanic he realigned the marks and fitted a new belt. When he started it the car ran fine and he declared me the luckiest man alive. He removed the belt and fitted new tensioners and idle pulleys. When all was done he started it and left it heat up, when he revved it, it stripped the teeth on the new belt and this time bent valves etc. The conclusion we have come to is either one of the cam shafts tightened when it warmed up or the variator seized, I intend to strip the engine to see if I can find what caused it. One possible cause might be the fact I have had an oil leak from the flywheel seal for the last two years, I have got used to checking it fairly regularly but as its my wife that drives the car most of the time, it has run low a number of times.(below the low mark and once or twice to the bottom of the dip stick, though the oil warning light has never come on) Could this have been the cause of the of the bearing problems at the top of the engine? oil starvation, I'd be interested on your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Variators won't seize as such. They could run dry and wear away the bearing shell I guess, but that should have been obvious when the belt was changed.

Was the water pump checked/replaced?
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 28-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork
No, a new one was got but as the old one turned freely and there appeared to be no movement in the bearing he decided not to change it.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
If you were missing 14 teeth how the hell did it not collide. Especially as you said it developed a noise. I recon you could have done more damage then you realsied first time round. You are right in the fact that low oil will def not have helped the bearings or the oil pump.
Unregistered

County: Wiltshire
Shoot the mechanic, he shouldn't be touching twinnies.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaky View Post
Shoot the mechanic, he shouldn't be touching twinnies.
You mean touching engines

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , failure , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page