Help - 2.4JTDM Spider fuel economy - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 20-10-09 Thread Starter

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

2.4JTDM Spider

Cry Like A Baby Help - 2.4JTDM Spider fuel economy

Hi all

Need some advice - have recently bought a 2.4JTDM spider, decision based purely on its stunning good looks and supposedly economical fuel performance. Technical figures state extra urban at 52.3, urban 30.7 & combined 41.5mpg. I'm struggling to even get 38 as an average, and thats with motorway driving and the tiniest about town.

Any tips anyone can give me?? I've tried driving at 50mph, 75-80mph, changing gear at low revs, at high revs, and nothing seems to be making any difference. And when you think of it in terms of approx 260miles less from a tank of fuel than the spec, thats a massice difference. If it carries on like this, i'm gonna have to sell.

HELP, PLEASE??

Last edited by sammieb121; 20-10-09 at 13:57.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Midlands
There's lots of threads about fuel efficiency on these boards - basically, your 38mpg would be considered pretty good by most people! There's certainly nothing wrong with the car.

I think nobody ever gets near the quoted figures on any car, ever; the 2.4 seems to be slightly worse than expected, but not much. It is a big engine, it is quite powerful, you don't get something for nothing...

I was a bit disappointed to star with too; but you get used to it, for the fun of the drive. If it helps, try putting the trip computer to show "Current MPG" so that you can learn how to drive the most economically, but realistically you won't get much better than 38 on average.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 21-10-09 Thread Starter

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

2.4JTDM Spider

Thanks Cjohn - i did some digging last night on here as you suggested, and everyone seems to be pretty much in the same boat. Its shocking really that AR are allowed to continue posting such extremely misleading information on their tech data, as people use this info to base their decisions on. But, we are where we are. So.... i'll now start enjoying the car, accepting the crappy fuel performance, and then i guess, look to get rid when i've had some fun
AO Member

County: Vorarlberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammieb121 View Post
Thanks Cjohn - i did some digging last night on here as you suggested, and everyone seems to be pretty much in the same boat. Its shocking really that AR are allowed to continue posting such extremely misleading information on their tech data, as people use this info to base their decisions on. But, we are where we are. So.... i'll now start enjoying the car, accepting the crappy fuel performance, and then i guess, look to get rid when i've had some fun
It`s not shocking. It would be unfair if they wouldn`t be allowed to because it is the same game for all the other manufacturers. The numbers they provide are just as far off. That`s fanatasy numbers noone (cept some grandpas driving like a turtle) can ever achive.
Yes it should be forbidden but for all of them. People drive priuses and tell people they are green because they got a hybrid. Then they start the ugly boat up and burn 6l/100km but they don`t need to question it because they drive a hybrid.

Look at it from the positive side. Your fuel consumtion is great for what you get. My 1.9 JTD has 7.7l/100km going through wich is miles off the official numbers. In return i drive like i want to, accelerate when i want to and have a lot of fun in general just driving the car. All that considered 7.7l seem not much at all.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
24jtdm , economy , fuel , spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page