Twin Spark Cam Belt Tensioner - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 12-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Kent
Twin Spark Cam Belt Tensioner

I am preparing to do the belts on the GTV. I removed the old tensioner today, CF1 1997 2.0 Twin Spark. The tensioner was a plain round wheel. Got the new one out of the box and it is a toothed cog. Is this correct? Is it just an up graded part? Looking on Eb Spares and Alfaworkshop, all the pictures show the toothed cog so I guess is right? Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
You should have one of each. 1 black smooth fixed tensioner and a toothed cog which should be metal.

You also need a balance shaft belt (toothed both sides) and a balance shaft tensioner on a GTV TS
AO Member

If you are doing your cambelt and balance belt you should have the two belts then a black metal balance belt tensioner with its sort of bracket/adjuster all in one part, then you have a silver toothed cambelt tensioner and smooth black pulley wheel. Was your car a runner or a non runner, There is always a chance that your car still had its original plastic cambelt tensioner (these break up and the teeth fall off so it would look smooth (i purchased a gtv a couple of years ago and trailered it home) i decided to do the belts before using the car and the main cambelt tensioner was plastic and had started to disintigrate i was very very lucky!there is a very good step by step guide on the net i think i got the link off this site somewhere i think it was a chap in Holland that did the guide, i have done 5 belt changes and i still swear by that guide!! good luck
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 12-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPKIT View Post
Was your car a runner or a non runner, There is always a chance that your car still had its original plastic cambelt tensioner (these break up and the teeth fall off so it would look smooth
Thanks mate, I think you have hit the nail on the head! When I removed the covers all those months ago, alot of white plastic fell out. I thought it was from the balance belt tensioner as it was the balance belt that was off. It seems now though that the cam tensioner plastic let go, the cam belt slipped, and the plastic fell into the path of the balance belt throwing it off.

Hoping to do all the belts tomorrow with the aid of the guides on here, struggling to see how the balance belt tensioner works at the moment as the fixing is from the rear, but I am sure it will all beome clear as I start to put it together!!

81 'Sud 1.5 Super - '88 33 1.7 Green Cloverleaf -'92 164 2.0 Twinnie - '94 164 2.0 Twinnie -'99 166 2.5 V6 Sportronic -'00 166 2.5 V6 Manual-'03 156 2.4 JTD Veloce-'97 GTV 2.0 Twinspark

AROC 916 Registrar http://www.aroc-uk.com/ Gtv Rebuild Project Thread https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...w-project.html

AO Member

The balance belt tensioner is easy once you have looked at it for a bit, you sort of hook it over a part the rear of the tensioner has a thread wich fits through a hole and a washer and nut go on the rear 10 mm ring spanner is handy unless you have a deep socket as you adjust the tension, the middle of the sort of hexagonal bit will move towards the centre once it is in the middle tighten the 10mm nut up. Also make sure both balance belt shafts are the same with the notch out of the pulley should both be at 12 oclock (i use a bit of white tipex on all of the marks, same on the crankshaft pulley and the lower timing case mark. Take your time make sure your cyl 1 is at tdc and the camshaft lobe on the rear bank on cyl 1 is pointing towards the rear of the car. it's all relatively easy i use a bit of loctite Blue on all of the tensioner nuts and bolts. I would also change the water pump as sometimes when you put a new cambelt on it is tighter and can finish a weak water pump off and the last thing you want to do is open everything up again to change the water pump.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
I would advise using the correct tools for this job; I have them if you want some help. Where in Kent are you? I'm just over the border in Surrey. Balance belt comes with yellow marks that line up with the notches on the sprockets.
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 16-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Very kind offer thanks mate but I am all done

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...w-project.html

County: Overijssel
The step by step guide to change the variator and cam belt that TOPKIT mentioned is on

The cam variator

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , cam , spark , tensioner , twin

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page