2L Auxilary Belt Noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 06-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: New South Wales

Member car:

GTV 916

2L Auxilary Belt Noise

Hi,

What causes the auxiliary belt sqealing noise. Is it the belt tensioner or the ider pulley that causes the problem the most?

When I remove the belt no noise whatsoever, put it back and sqealing noise is there. Unfortunately it is impossible to isolate individual components to establish which part is causing problem. I have found this problem on my son's 156 and my gtv twin sparks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Couple of options:

1) Find a length of hose (10mm diameter or so). Stick one end in your ear and poke the other end around the aux belt area to identify what's squealing. Take care not to get the hose (or yourself) caught up in the machine!

2) Squirt the tensioner or idler with wd40 and see which one makes a difference.

Cheers,

Iain
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I would guess it is the moving tensioner. It is quite expensive and not usually changed as of often as it should be.

When my 156 started squeaking from the aux belt area, I bought a new belt and both tensioners. The squeak went.
AO Silver Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

more than likely the idler pulley, in my opinion. i have had two fail in a year. both times changing them stopped the squeaking, so it was definitely the idler.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
The only proper cure is to bite the bullet and change both tensioners along with the belt.

It is going to cost around £100 all in but at least it will be cured for a good few thousand miles.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 15-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: New South Wales

Member car:

GTV 916

Thanks for your assistance. Found source of problem. After removing, cleaning and regreasing tensioner and idler bearings, noise was still there. On closer inspection I noticed that belt had stretched to the point where it allowed the tensioner to extend to it's fullest point. This makes it a very rigid structure which then vibrates causing noise. Replaced belt and noise disappeared. So the first thing to do when noise is apparent would be to change belt and check that tensioner pulley is able to float as it tensions against the belt. Hope this info helps someone else.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
auxilary , belt , noise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page