Is it my turbo? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 04-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Is it my turbo?

147 JTD 8v 53 plate.

Hey guys,

Smokin' smokin smokin...... and it's getting worse.

So how do I check if it's my turbo? I've had a look for leaks in pipes to it but found nothing and looking underneath there is quite alot of oil around the lower of the two large pipes thatleave the turbo going the near side of the car (intercooler???).....

I'm gonna whip it off to have a closer look but what am I looking for?

Also repair kits? are they any good?

From reading around I assume it's a garrett gt1749??, does this sound right???

Thanks

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
Blown turbo hose...
There is no other way to replace it with a new one.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 04-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Tribesman,

What do you mean? Split hose??? which hose should I look at and which part should I order?

Cheers......
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
It is normal to have a small amount of oil in the intercooler and intake hoses but there shouldn't be too much.

Too much smoke can be caused by overfilling the oil but it does sound to me like the turbo seals are leaking.

You can't really rebuild a turbo yourself as they spin at silly speeds and it is critical that they are perfectly balanced otherwise it won't last 5 mins. Somewhere like Turbo Technics or Midland turbo should be able to sell you an exchange unit off the shelf.
AO Member

County: Queensland
As far as I can work out there are two important hoses (pipes/sleeves) on the 1.9 JTD 8v

1. turbo to the intercooler (bottom)
2. intercooler to the inlet manifold (top - on a 156 1.9JTD 8V it's PN 60676178)

The top hose split/cracked on my car a few weeks ago on the inside of the last small bend as it goes into the inlet manifold. It was pretty obvious to find as there was a fine "wet" oil mist/spray on parts which hadn't been there before. First i superglued the crack and taped it - tape melted off (wrong tape, it doesn't get that hot), so I used a bike inner tube patch on it instead... All good so far.

Prior to the crack/split my car used to smoke badly on WOT. I replaced the MAF and the EGR to no avail, didn't think to look for leaks. No smoke after the patch, although i think the power is down and am interested in how to test the turbo. Any body know if any diags can do this (revs versus boost pressure = normal?) And how much oil should get through the turbo to the inlet manifold anyway?

I'm in Aust. and the part isn't immediately avail (no JTD 156's here) so will be ordering it in from UK. I am considering adding the lower hose as I think it's probably age related. I only say this as I can see the top hose ballooning on boost (revving in driveway). Given there are two hoses in the critical path it makes sense to replace them both.

I can’t get into ePer to see the lower hose part number but I am sure a dealer could confirm if you give them your VIN.

03 1.9JTD8v Sportwagon +GTA teledials for the win!!

Last edited by craig_m67; 06-10-09 at 10:40. Reason: part number is for a 156!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page