V6 Throttle body hine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
V6 Throttle body hine

Hi All

I posted this in the GTV section already but am getting no response.

I noticed electrical whining from under the bonnet yesterday so opened her up with the ignition set to Mar(?).

The throttle body whines and adjusts PERMANENTLY while the ignition is 'ready'. I checked my friends GTA and his does this for 10 seconds then stops - then 30 seconds later it did a little readjustment but that was it. Dead quiet.

Would this be symptomatic of a faulty throttle body OR a faulty signal being sent to the throttle body (like the MAF)?

Can anyone else go listen to theirs for me? This is with the ignition ON but before you turn the engine over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

There is a bias in the TB that holds it slighly open when no drive is applied - this is the limp-home thing that gives enough air for a fast idle. Normally, I'd expect that the TB would be tighter shut than this, so it will always receive a certain amount of drive to close it down, hence the whine. It is possible though, that later versions have a different strategy and after doing an initial position check, and just 'relax' until actually needed. Also possible is that it was a different temperature when you compared the two engines - the TB is used as the IACV on these, so again, depending on how it does it, the TB may be set at an appropriate starting point to fire up the engine (the old 12V motronic system held the IACV at about 50% open with ignition on but engine not running). All these notions about the actual strategy are supposition though - I don't know, and haven't looked at the late 24V motors - I just jump in the 166 and drive it!

If you are concerned, it might be worth your while having a look-see to make sure it's clean inside the TB bore and there isn't anything preventing free movement. If it's clean in there, don't fret about it. The throttle plate should move freely enough by hand - be gentle with it, you'll feel a fairly strong spring pressure but it should move smoothly enough (with igniton OFF!).

HTH
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 01-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Thanks Chris - i intend to get in there and have a good look when i've got all the bits to my new induction system so i'll be sure to give it a good clean regardless.

I really just want to get under the bonnet of a similar car to see (hear) if it's the same lol!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

By far the simplest way!! Beats all this pontificating for sure

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
body , hine , throttle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page