HELP engine oil pressure low - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 30-08-09 Thread Starter

HELP engine oil pressure low

i keep getting engine oil pressure low when im comin to a stand still or in traffic after driving like 2 miles , or roughly when the cars warmed up , i dont have any leaks i dont think either ,
what are possible causes , please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mudhut

Not sure I can give you any definitive information, but you will need to say what engine you have, what rpm and what oil pressure you think is possibly low.

By low, do you mean that the oil pressure warning light is on (or do you have a pressure gauge)?

Last edited by mudhut; 30-08-09 at 13:38.

0of0

Has the oil level been checked?

(Post Link) post #4 of 16 Old 30-08-09 Thread Starter

engine is 2.0 jts selespeed , it only happenswhen im comin to a slow or stationary in traffic as soon as i start back off it goes off , oil levels are all perfect ,

engine oil pressure low
gazza12345

I had this with my 147, the warning would come on after i stalled or went around a corner very fast, never caused any problems though and the oil was on the top dot all the time.

AO Member

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahgt View Post
i keep getting engine oil pressure low when im comin to a stand still or in traffic after driving like 2 miles , or roughly when the cars warmed up , i dont have any leaks i dont think either ,
what are possible causes , please help
I would be wary about continuing driving with this fault.
The fact that the oil level is good leads me to suspect that there is a pressure problem. This along with the fact that it happens when engine is warmed up (oil less viscous) and when coming to a stop (oil pump not rotating quickly) points to an internal engine problem that should be investigated.
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 03-09-09 Thread Starter

ican turn engine off now leave it 20 secs and lights gone , till i drive off and slow down again
Unregistered

County: Wiltshire
The oil pressure switches are renowned for being fauty in the TS and JTS, Switches are cheap and easy to change so don't fret too much.
AO Platinum Member

Aye! Stick a new pressure switch in there and that will probably solve it. My '55 is on its third sender.. they seem to get bunged up over time and start reading lower than they should when the pressure dips temporarily.

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

What oil are you using in it?

Cheers

Guy
AO Platinum Member

Who, me? I run semi-synthetic 10W40 and leave it in there for the full-monty 12,000 miles service interval.

I've used Selenia, Shell Helix, Castrol and even the Big H. green can stuff. When I fixed the head gasket I noticed all sorts of gum and varnish in there... nothing tooooo serious but it looked not very nice, so I nuked it with kerosene and then filled the beast up with Halfords 10W40 semi-synthetic for Diesel engines, as it's got more detergent in it. That flushed out a fair bit of post-rebuild black stuff and motor looks pretty clean in there still.

It's using 15W40 at the moment, as I just been down to Italia on the autostrada (engine oil touching 98C for extended periods, so I wanted as much viscosity as I dared).

Next change (next week) should be back to 10W40 as it's winter soon. Got half a can of Halfords green... so may use that, or I may spoil the beast and buy some synthetic Motul 6100 (?) for it.. as the syntho' stuff has more detergents in it than semi-synth. Need to find a 25 ltr drum though.. the 4ltr cans makes it an expensive hobby otherwise.

I don't want to change the oil more than 12,000 miles though... my engine wear is miniscule (even with 200,000m up) so apart from the gum/varnish issue, the 12,000 oil mileage isn't causing any problems.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Last edited by Ralf S.; 15-09-09 at 14:37.
AO Silver Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

Ralf,

Sorry, I mean the OP.

The Motul 6100 is still mineral based, if you really want to treat it give it a full synthetic.

Cheers

Guy

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza12345 View Post
I had this with my 147, the warning would come on after i stalled or went around a corner very fast, never caused any problems though and the oil was on the top dot all the time.
mine just did this today,
i went round a roundabout fairly quick and the display beeped and said oil pressure low,
the level is spot on,

only had car a month, hope it's ok,
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfanatt View Post
mine just did this today,
i went round a roundabout fairly quick and the display beeped and said oil pressure low,
the level is spot on,

only had car a month, hope it's ok,
What oil is in it?
0of0

Why is the OP now unregistered it's one thing to not follow up on a thread, but another to delete your account

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
What oil is in it?
i think i stuck 10/40 semi in it,
what would you recommend?
viscosity and make,

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , low , oil , pressure

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page