Alfa GT Engine Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 22-08-09 Thread Starter

Alfa GT Engine Problem

Hi first post so please be gentle

Not sure if is the correct place to post this, but anway

I have an 04 GT 2.0 JTS with 22K on the clock and on Wednesday this week i started to reverse and the car stalled and restarted made a banging noise and cut out (stalled), when i restarted the engine it now makes a blowy clattering type noise for a couple of seconds then stalls again and the message engine control system failure is shown, not sure what it could be. i am waiting for a guy from the local garage to come round and have a look but thought i would ask you guys if you had any idea.

cheers

Last edited by Kevinoldland; 22-08-09 at 16:26.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Hi (and welcome). We don't bite here

Sounds like an unusual fault... My first guess is that it may have back-fired and blown the plastic inlet chamber. What kind of bang was it though?

The fact that you have a MSCF error is good (in a way). If your garage has fault-code reading equipment it will help them identify the problem.

Keep us posted, so that we may learn

Cheers,

Iain
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I am thinking a slipped cambelt.

Has it been changed? I know the car has only done 22k, but they are meant to be changed every 36k or 3 years whichever comes first.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 23-08-09 Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the replies, was more like a thud noise, had a friend pop round last night who knows a bit about engines and he was stumped as well, he described the engine as sounding very throaty (like a blown exhaust sound) and its is defiantly misfiring. He thinks its got to be either a slipped cam or timing belt. I am not sure if the cam belt has been changed as i have only had it 18 months or so, the irony is that it is booked in on Friday to have a service, MOT and cam belt change this week to be on the safe side or so i thought when i booked it lol. So assuming one of the belts has slipped what do you think my best plan of action is ? also how much out of my wedding fund have i just blown ?

Cheers
AO Platinum Member

If it is the cambelt, and they do often slip or loose teeth when the engine is starting (happened to me on a V6)

I don't think you get much change from 1000 to get it done right, as the very least that you will need is a cambelt kit, headgasket set, a head re-build and a set of big end shells.

You try and find a good secondhand head, but as your car is a JTS they are quite rare.
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 23-08-09 Thread Starter

Thanks for that Symon, not quite as bad as i thought, i did notice a recon 2.0 jts engine for sale on ebay fully fitted for 1125, although i not sure this is 100% the correct Engine, guess i will have to wait until i can get the car to a garage to find out what they say.
AO Platinum Member

I might be worth having a word with Autolusso.

They will sort the car out for a good price and collect it as well for a small fee.

Autolusso (Ned) is a member on here, send him a PM.
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 23-08-09 Thread Starter

Cheers will drop him a pm, but looking on his website he looks a little more expensive than most, but i suppose you gets what you pay for !

Thanks for your help
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
We can do a head rebuild and fit a new set of shells in situ cheaper than an engine rebuild, please ring for more information, 01525 221 921. We're still in the process of re-doing all our fixed prices but I think this will be something like 895 for a cambelt failure repair, as opposed to 1500 for a reconditioned engine supplied & fitted.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
alfa , engine , problem

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page