Crank journal colour codes.... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 13-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

Crank journal colour codes....

Specifically for a 164 crank I'm working with.

Crank shell colour coding. Can anyone tell me definitively how the paint blobs relate to each journal? It's all very well Alfa saying 'paint mark adjacent to journal' but the way they put them on, and the number of them, I can't make much sense out of it.

My concern is I'm having trouble with clearances on the mains and it crossed my mind that the ones I took out of the engine (it having been previously rebuilt by somewhat of a muppet) might not be correct.

I'll take a picture later, but most of the blobs are red, one by the rear main is green, I took green coded shells out when I stripped it, but some new greens I had in stock are too tight (although plastigauging them gave 1.2-1.5 thou clearance, which is good). Each one seems to contribute about the same amount of resitance as well, so it's not as if it should be 3 reds and 1 green as far as I can tell. Each shell has about the same amount of shine on it now I've turned the crank over a few times, so again, each journal seems equally tight based on that as well. Seems tighter by the joint than at the top & bottom. Dunno, confused really.

Worst-case and I just put the old ones back in, as they are in decent order, oil pressure was good before it was stripped and it's getting a new pump anyway. I could always buy a set of reds and try those as well I suppose - not that expensive but it's just bugging me a bit at the moment. Don't want to keep buying shells that don't fit.

Had exactly the same problem with the previous engine - took out greens, some crank markings were green, ambiguous (to me at least) paint blobs, new green shells so tight it was impossible to shift the crank despite similar measured clearances. Same shells though, so maybe they are just duff. Genuine Alfa parts by the way.

No such trouble with the big ends - shells clearly reds, journals all marked red as far as I can tell at least, clearances come out to around 1 thou ish, all rods move sweetly.

I've asked this over on AlfaBB and 155.org as well, but no news so far. Sorry about the cross-post, but I could do with some guidance.

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Ugh! I've just been through this

My problem was that all the colour spots had washed off

Here are the replies I got:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engin...our-codes.html
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 15-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

That's a classic - I always do a search first before posting....apart from this time. Typical!!

Anyway, thanks for that - I'm not alone, although my problem is slightly different of course - I've got the paint blobs...just don't think the shells are right! The comment about them possibly being different on each journal is telling, I now think I've got 1 'green' main journal and all others are reds. Previous rebuilder had put all green main shells in and I think this is the problem. I'll try reds on the mains and see what clearances I get and how easy the crank turns.

This topic is on-going on various boards at the moment but I'll try to keep them up to date in case it ever proves useful to anyone.....
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

Maybe one journal has been re-ground...? Unusual on mains though.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 18-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

I think it's all original, I strongly suspect that the previous guy put the wrong shells in (he got half the conrods in backwards).

I've got some red shells on order now, so I'll see how it looks with a set of those installed. Had a top-tip to use shells from a TS engine - the ones from journals 1,3 & 5 fit the V6 block but are wider, so more area to spread the load. Sight increase in drag, but I'd rather it last longer and sacrifice a bhp or two.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
codes , colour , crank , journal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page