Engine Stalling+ FIXED!!!-Read First Post - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Diego Guerrero

Engine Stalling+ FIXED!!!-Read First Post

My engine is stalling at idle, usually when I'm stopping at a traffic light and my foot is off the accelerator. Can it be the idle actuator? Anyone else have/had this problem?
I want to be sure it's the actuator before I purchase a new one. No trusty alfa mechanics or EFI technicians around here, they want to charge me 50 bills just to take a look at the car. I'd rather spend it on the new part.

Quite frankly it's driving me nuts and it's also dangerous having your car stop in the middle of traffic. Other drivers must think I'm dumb and can't drive.

Thanks,

Diego

Finally found out part of the problem that was causing the stalling. My mechanic and me thought it was the step-step motor (U$S 80.00), but before I made the purchase, we exchanged it with one from an other 33 with less km, and to our surprise, while it did help, it wasn't fixed. We then started to get ready to clean the MAP sensor just when it happened...fuel started coming out through the vacuum hose the connects the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold. Turns out that the regulator had a broken diaphragm and fuel was pooring into the manifold through the vacuum hose. The engine flooded somethimes at start up and was jerking hard on gear changes. What a diference, it feels like a new engine. But it still stalls once in while, usually when warm, at about 50. Before I changed the regulator, it stalled every time I stopped, or lifted my foot of the accelerator. I am now inclined to think that what ever stalling is left is probably caused by a faulty temp. sensor. According the the owners manual, the ECU reads this sensor among others to keep the idle constant.
I'll keep you posted with any news.

Diego

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

first try cleaning the injectors with some type of injector cleaner fluid or else restart the ecu by unplugging it and replugging it again.

this maybe could solve your idling problem. A friend of mine had that kind of problem on his.
Diego Guerrero

Carl,

Thanks for the tip. I've already unplugged the battery to reset the ECU and that didn't fix it.

AO Member

Hi Diego,

Does the engine run ok and not stall when it is still cold

Bob
Diego Guerrero

Bob,

The engine runs perfect, hot or cold, and stalls at any time. No hesitation at idle. It just stalls when the rpms drop, like when you stop at a corner and downshift. It's driving me crazy, but since money doesn't grow on trees, I wanted to check with you guys and see if someone's had this problem before. I read a couple of threads from the 145,155,etc. lounge and a couple of guys there had the same problem and fixed it by either cleaning or changing the step motor, so it's most likely that this is what's causing it. Cleaning it helped for a some months, but I cleaned it again and it did no good.
I know that the throttle position sensor can cause the stalling, but it seems OK.

AO Member

I have had this happen on my 33 a couple of times over the past 6 years, all I have had to do is adjust the throttle.

When the engine is warm all I have done is turn the screw clockwise a little, to a nice even pace and this has solved the problem.
Bob
Diego Guerrero

Well there's a big diference between my car and yours other than the engine, mine is equiped with the Marelli injection where as 1.7 IE all come with Bosch. Marelli injection doesn't have a throttle adjustment screw. As I understand, idle is controlled 90 % by the step motor. I just want to be sure it's that and not a sensor or something alike.

AO Member

Hi Diego,

I did find a Polish 33 site some time back that had a lot of info regarding 33's, but I cannot find the url, if I do find it again I will pass it on.

However this site may provide a few links that may help. 33 tech info

Good luck

Bob
AO Member

Hi Diego

Glad to hear you are solving the problem.

...Flat Four Roaring Again...
Bob

Re: Engine Stalling+ FIXED!!!-Read First Post

This sounds like it was a very interesting problem to address. Did you have any luck figuring out what was stalling your car the remainder of the times it occurred? Was it the faulty temperature reading that the ECM was collecting?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , fixedread , post , stalling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page