Can somebody tell me the worst? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 21-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
Can somebody tell me the worst?

The misses just got home in the new Y reg 147 1.6 ts weve bought, as a few may know, Ive changed the cambelt, kit, variator. She arrived with steam coming from under the bonnet. It wasnt driven very far by the sound of it with small am9ounts of steam comming out 1/4 mile, but Ive refilled the coolant bottle and the water is comming out as quick as I put it in, from behind the exhaust manifold/aircon pump area. Please tell me there is a hose behind there, Im guessing there isnt. What are the possible problems? Also there is scum on the oil filler cap, which wasnt there when I did the work about two weeks ago.
Weve had the car about 3 weaks, I gutted!
Is there a possibility of cracked block/head?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Headgasket I reckon.

I would get a exhaust sniffer test done to confirm but it sounds quite likely to me.

Did you buy privately or from a garage?
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Oil / water heat exchanger (oil cooler)? - its below and to the right of the exhaust manifold
(Post Link) post #4 of 16 Old 21-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Headgasket I reckon.

I would get a exhaust sniffer test done to confirm but it sounds quite likely to me.

Did you buy privately or from a garage?
This is what I thought, But there was a lot of water coming out. Its not spraying out, just dropping straight out, Was starting to think something had hole in it like the head or block!
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 21-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs View Post
Oil / water heat exchanger (oil cooler)? - its below and to the right of the exhaust manifold
That does sound more like it, I hope! Is this expensive, can I do it meself, whats involved?
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I also agree it could be the heat exchanger.

The heat exchanger is what the oil filter screws into. On top are 2 coolant hoses, these can burst due to exhaust heat making the rubber go hard.
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 21-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
I also agree it could be the heat exchanger.

The heat exchanger is what the oil filter screws into. On top are 2 coolant hoses, these can burst due to exhaust heat making the rubber go hard.
I hope so, I'll have a look tomorrow, Thankyou very much to both of you, I feel a hell of a lot better now!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

The heat exchanger is also susceptible to cracking / damage when the oil filter is changed.

You'd need to find where the water is coming from. I guess a hose would be easy enough to repair, the heat exchanger itself is quite expensive (£150-200) but you could possibly buy 2nd hand one

edit: this is what it looks like, the part at the bottom left of the pic.................certainly hope its related to this and not something worse

Last edited by Pascs; 07-04-12 at 14:10.
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 21-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs View Post
I assume all 147 have the heat exchanger?

The heat exchanger is also susceptible to cracking / damage when the oil filter is changed.

You'd need to find where the water is coming from. I guess a hose would be easy enough to repair, the heat exchanger itself is quite expensive (£150-200) but you could possibly buy 2nd hand one
Is the heat exchanger easy to get to, to replace, if thats what it is?
I know of a few scrappies round my way, with 147s in.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
They can be got from the dealer but they were quite expensive. Have seen a few pattern parts on ebay for about 40 quid before but don't know if its any good. The scrappy is your best bet for money saving but be careful not to bend the 90 degree tubes or they will crack pretty quick again. Oh and I ran my 155 ts with no cooler for about 6 months with no problems. I took the exchanger off after it cracked and just ran a piece of hose between where it fitted on the two pipes on the block. (I was a student at the time so no damning remarks please had to spend it on beer) oh and obviously put the oil filter back on. looking at the diag from pascs i'd say you could do this although its not ideal

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
(Post Link) post #11 of 16 Old 22-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss View Post
They can be got from the dealer but they were quite expensive. Have seen a few pattern parts on ebay for about 40 quid before but don't know if its any good. The scrappy is your best bet for money saving but be careful not to bend the 90 degree tubes or they will crack pretty quick again. Oh and I ran my 155 ts with no cooler for about 6 months with no problems. I took the exchanger off after it cracked and just ran a piece of hose between where it fitted on the two pipes on the block. (I was a student at the time so no damning remarks please had to spend it on beer) oh and obviously put the oil filter back on. looking at the diag from pascs i'd say you could do this although its not ideal
Thanks, I had a look today, luckly it wasnt the actual oil cooler, just one of the hoses, it had split from the metal pipe coming round the front of the engine, behind the exhaust manifold being secured in the wrong place and near enough kinking the pipe, so it gave out. So, Ive replaced it with some high pressure hose with heatshield tube over the top, should do the job!
I ran, all is fine, had a few airlocks, to be expected. But noticed that the oil filler cap has scum on it, its fine after a good run, but once its stopped and the engine has started to cool down it starts to form on the cap again. Is that normal? I dont seem to be loosing any water now, but am still a little worried the head gasket might have gone, because of the scum. The coolant system is pressurising, but only very slightly, about what I would call normal when fully up to temperature and the fan is cutting in as normal, temperature staying between 85-95.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I think an oil change would be your first option then see if you still have scum building up. At least you found the water leak problem and not too expensive
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
You will get some build up of scum. make sure its not to heavy though. Do the oil change and see if it helps. You may have been a little unlucky and blown the gasket
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 23-07-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Just have to see, the oil filler car is high up compared to on my previous cars, so I could see that water could condensate in the cap normally. I'll change the oil, Ive already bought a filter ready. Thanks again for your coments.
AO Member

County: Leitrim

Member car:

gtv

emulsification

hi, just a new member but ive had in excess of 50 cars in my driving career (im 40) lol
if your not losing water theres no issue
oil can emulsify if there are alot of small stop start journeys where the car rarely gets fully up to temp for any length of time ,,rather than long journeys,,breather hoses and egr pipes etc can require cleaning in some cases
but i think its nothing to worry bout
cheers
marc
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 17-08-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco98 View Post
hi, just a new member but ive had in excess of 50 cars in my driving career (im 40) lol
if your not losing water theres no issue
oil can emulsify if there are alot of small stop start journeys where the car rarely gets fully up to temp for any length of time ,,rather than long journeys,,breather hoses and egr pipes etc can require cleaning in some cases
but i think its nothing to worry bout
cheers
marc
Thanks, the car seems to be fine. Lovely to drive, shame its not mine! (its the misses)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
worst

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page